Help with strange HOG SPG problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at that picture it looks like it's sustained some damage to the lower left side from what is probably a substantial impact. This may have caused the needle to jump.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 10:34 AM ----------

...so at least there Chris will definitely see it.

HOG spg LEFT2.5.jpg HOG SPG Right2.5.jpg

I don't think there's any impact damage, according to these different angles. The gauge looks quite clean and it should, given its brief use.

Chris is VERY aware of this.

Last edited:
I got to a bigger screen. The towel thing won't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

View attachment 175827 View attachment 175828

I don't think there's any impact damage, according to these different angles. The gauge looks quite clean and it should, given its brief use.

Chris is VERY aware of this.

Cheers for reposting the pics, I stand corrected. That being the case I'm surprised this hasn't been sorted. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. I don't understand if it's a fault why they aren't making good on it...

What ever happened with this? Did HOG make good and address this issue?

Here is a thread that pretty much explains what happened and why this guy is not happy with me. I'm OK with it. That's not to say I handled this perfectly but... I felt at the time that NOTHING i did would make him happy and frankly his actions here on SB just affirm my thinking on this all.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ontario/474815-canadian-divers-lousy-customers.html

---------- Post added January 27th, 2014 at 08:30 PM ----------

Cheers for reposting the pics, I stand corrected. That being the case I'm surprised this hasn't been sorted. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. I don't understand if it's a fault why they aren't making good on it...

Hmmm, on this thread is the very first time I have ever seen the pics showing the gauges from any angle than the front. I did see the very first picture he posted in this thread.

In short his comment that accompanied the picture you commented on is a lie.

Here is a thread that pretty much explains what happened and why this guy is not happy with me. I'm OK with it. That's not to say I handled this perfectly but... I felt at the time that NOTHING i did would make him happy and frankly his actions here on SB just affirm my thinking on this all.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ontario/474815-canadian-divers-lousy-customers.html

---------- Post added January 27th, 2014 at 08:30 PM ----------

Hmmm, on this thread is the very first time I have ever seen the pics showing the gauges from any angle than the front. I did see the very first picture he posted in this thread.

In short his comment that accompanied the picture you commented on is a lie.

Cheers Chris, as I said in one of my initial posts it looked like there was more to this story than was being posted. I read that thread and although I think you possibly could have handled it differently it hasn't put me off HOG and I still think in general your customer service is some of the best out there.

add: and by handling it differently I don't mean that you should have necessarily replaced the gauge. Being human we all have not so great days.

Last edited:
I think, in this case, the problem may have been with the dealer from whom the gauge was originally purchased. I have some personal experience to say that.

Thanks for sharing, Chris. So far very happy with all my HOG purchase: two first stages, two second stages, two gauges (particularly happy with gauge), singles wing and, most recently, very red Tech 2 fins.

Looking forward to diving the fins for the first time next week. Kicked 1000 yards at the pool alternating between my go to OMS Slipstreams and the HOGs. I wish the HOGs were a bit stiffer. The foot pocket however is just right for their intended use with size 12 Whites Fusion boots. The XXLs are just a bit bigger than XL Slipstreams (the XLs are just slightly smaller than the XL Slipstreams), making them just about perfect. And they're RED...perfect for channeling Steve Zissou.

I think, in this case, the problem may have been with the dealer from whom the gauge was originally purchased. I have some personal experience to say that.

Lynne,

If you have had opportunity to read the thread about Canadians being bad customers you will see that the gauge is a couple of years out of warranty and you will also see the emails back and forth. From what I get from others posting is that it was either over-pressurized or sustained significant trauma to cause the needle to jump and this is little more than a temper tantrum in order to get a free gauge and the ensuing mudslinging when he didn't get his way. I personally own several HOG products to include a 2 inch black face spg. I have never had any problems with any of my gear nor has anyone that I know who owns it. I can only speak from my experience with my LDS and the couple of times that I have spoken with Chris while making calls for customers while volunteering at the shop. Chris and my LDS will bend over backwards for you and from what I get from seeing posts about HOG products so will any HOG dealer. I say this because my LDS has tuned or checked out my regs for me several times just because I asked them too and when I tore my mouthpiece trying to put a necklace on it was replaced no questions asked and I only wanted a replacement at my expense due to my stupidity. In this particular case the dealer offered to replace the gauge at their cost for the customer. I honestly believe that the dealer went above and beyond to make good on theirs and HOG's good name in order to rectify this issue. I see no fault on either the dealer or the manufacturer's behalf.

Lynne,

If you have had opportunity to read the thread about Canadians being bad customers you will see that the gauge is a couple of years out of warranty and you will also see the emails back and forth. From what I get from others posting is that it was either over-pressurized or sustained significant trauma to cause the needle to jump and this is little more than a temper tantrum in order to get a free gauge and the ensuing mudslinging when he didn't get his way. I personally own several HOG products to include a 2 inch black face spg. I have never had any problems with any of my gear nor has anyone that I know who owns it. I can only speak from my experience with my LDS and the couple of times that I have spoken with Chris while making calls for customers while volunteering at the shop. Chris and my LDS will bend over backwards for you and from what I get from seeing posts about HOG products so will any HOG dealer. I say this because my LDS has tuned or checked out my regs for me several times just because I asked them too and when I tore my mouthpiece trying to put a necklace on it was replaced no questions asked and I only wanted a replacement at my expense due to my stupidity. In this particular case the dealer offered to replace the gauge at their cost for the customer. I honestly believe that the dealer went above and beyond to make good on theirs and HOG's good name in order to rectify this issue. I see no fault on either the dealer or the manufacturer's behalf.

I did not get the impression that the gauge was misused in any way (over-pressurized or rough-up) but was well out of warranty. In spite of being years out of warranty, the dealer/mfgr offered to replace the possibly defective item at a no profit cost. This offer was apparently rejected by the customer and it went down hill from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom