Help with two IDs from Dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I've got a couple of things I can't ID from a recent trip to Dominica. The fish is underneath a rock and the quality of the photos is quite poor. Sorry. This was in the rubble near our hotel dock, probably 20 ft or so.

The crab is on a reef at probably 40-ish feet.

Thanks for any help,

Eric

Attachments

• 4ce9bcd4.jpg
    4ce9bcd4.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 4ce9bcc2.jpg
    4ce9bcc2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 4ce98550.jpg
    4ce98550.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 4ce98542.jpg
    4ce98542.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 65
Tough angles and details, so these are my best guesses: The Crab, due to dark tips on lateral spines and spines on inside "arms",: Black Point Sculling Crab. The fish because it is very small, "orangy" and in a crevice upside down: Rusty Goby.

I think rusty goby was my best guess too. Couldn't do any better on him. On the crab I was going for the artistic shot without a thought of how to ID later. Thanks!

I would go with Rusty Goby as a best guess for the fish...
as for the crab I am going to go with Portus ordwayi the iridescent patch of the claw (seen in the second picture) is a distinguishing characteristic

im not going to ID the crab, because i can't see the top of the carapace, but the fish looks like a red clingfish. 20 feet might be pushing their normal depth, but the eye ring, and the dots on the back half of the fish are consistent with red clingfish

I'm going to change my guess to Red Clingfish (didn't know that fish) but after looking it up, besides what Matt said above, even the slope of the face looks closer than a Goby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom