Help with U/W Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1TexasDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Need to buy new u/w lights for myself and the wife would like ya'lls input/opinion on LED or not

Thanx in advance,
Rick

IMHO - The best bang for the buck right now is the Oxycheq Raider 3 Watt LED. When I first got this as a back-up, it was so much brighter than my old primary, that I switched. :cool2:

More info here: Torch-Backup

Personally I think HID is the way to go in Texas, LED is great in clear water, but around here they just don't seem to penetrate as far.

I would have to disagree with Ryan on this one. I just got the Salvo Rebel 12W LED. I was initially concerned about the penetrating power in murk of Lake Travis, but after several dives, side by side with the Dive Rite HID - I'll take the Salvo any day (sorry Chris and Melissa).

Need to buy new u/w lights for myself and the wife would like ya'lls input/opinion on LED or not

Thanx in advance,
Rick

You didn't specify what kind of light you are looking into. Are you looking for pencil lights, pistol grips, or cannisters? The price ranges from $20 to $1000. Your light choice depends greatly upon your current intended use (where are you diving with it now) and your expected future use (where will you be diving in a few years)?

Well, I think you have your answers either way. If you are looking for a high-end can light you can't go wrong with LED these days. Just make sure you get a focused beam no matter what you end up with. The LED technology has really taken off. I have an HID and I have already had to replace the bulb. I dive with it a lot, but not enough to warrant a bulb replacement...and those bad boys are pricey too!

If you are looking for something smaller Zinc hit the nail right on the head with the Oxycheq Raider. I have two as backups. When Zinc and I had to do our lights out drill during cave training and use our backups we still lit the place up. Great lights!

I have the Princeton Tec ShockwaveII LED, I really like it, but I have only used it in the Caribbean. It is big and heavy, but puts out a lot of light. I'll try it this weekend at Travis. The LED's put out a fair ammount of light, but cost twice as much as the halogen lights, but the batteries last about 20 hours, and the bulbs last forever. So they aren't as bright as a HID light, nor as cheap as a halogen, but they are a good compromise between cost, durability and quality.

I have proved before that the non-LED lights will give you greater detail but there is a vast difference in color temperature in the lamps. Therefore your color feedback between the 2 types vary drastically. Personally, I'm gunning for the UK Light Cannon 100. Relatively decent price and I've seen it in action. It's a pretty good little HID.

If your looking at the light cannon you also may want to look at the Brightstar. 24w rechargable HID for not a whole lot more than the light cannon+rechargable pack. If you want cheaper and non rechargable then it might not be for you, but it is a great little light with a nice bright hot spot.

~Jess

Thanx in advance,
Rick

Tell me what your exact use will be and price range for the both of you....I then could give some suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom