help with weight !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I needed around 32 lbs of lead for a 5mm semi-dry suit plus 5mm semi-dry shorty & hood... the type of wetsuit I would wear in cold California coastal waters. And no, that amount of weight is not fun, but when I took 2 lbs off I had a hard time descending and holding the safety stop. :-( So, like it or not, that was the right amount of lead.

Diving in cold water can be great... but you'd better have good knees to haul your heavy gear!

yes, of course ! knowing myself , the first time i dive in UK i will need 20 UK divers around me !! so generally you would say you need more weight in colder water because of wetsuit ? also does the weight changes with depth ? as i go deeper i need more weight too ?

---------- Post added July 10th, 2014 at 11:11 AM ----------

You beat me to it. I was born and raised in Barbados, never dove there, wasn't even interested in diving until recently. But that was a big part of my initial motivation to dive. But next time I'm home...definitely!!

LUCKY YOU !!! i love the caribbean but i just fell in love with barbados and would love to live there someday ....

yes, of course ! knowing myself , the first time i dive in UK i will need 20 UK divers around me !! so generally you would say you need more weight in colder water because of wetsuit ? also does the weight changes with depth ? as i go deeper i need more weight too ?

You'll need a thicker wetsuit (or a drysuit) in colder water, and neoprene floats, so all else being equal, you'll need more lead with a thicker wetsuit. Of course, if you change your gear (steel instead of aluminum tanks, a steel backplate), or change from salt to fresh water, that will also make a big difference. If your own weight changes significantly, that will make a difference too (fat floats).

You actually need less lead at depth, because the wetsuit will compress and be less buoyant. However, the water might be colder if you're diving deeper, and you might need a thicker wetsuit to stay warm on deeper dives, because the wetsuit will compress and not keep you as warm.

It's all explained in your OW book, but it takes practice too. Writing down what you wore for each dive, and how you felt with that gear configuration, will help a lot. I have 1 page in my log book for each dive, and about 1/4 of the page is data about the gear, water temperature, and environment. By the way, if you use the standard PADI log book, it has spaces to record all of the data, but you have to add whether you were happy with the gear.

LUCKY YOU !!! i love the caribbean but i just fell in love with barbados and would love to live there someday ....

It's a great place. I never knew how good the water was until I saw what else was out there. I can't wait to dive there the next time I go back.

Back
Top Bottom