Help!!! Z- Plus vs. xDeep Stealth 2.0 again!

Z- Plus vs. xDeep Stealth 2.0

• Z-plus

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • xDeep Stealth 2.0

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z-Trim+ Device

The Z-Trim has 50lbs lift

Does that change things?

Karl_H, whats wrong with the but Z-system manifold?

Thats the Z-Plus harness with 50lbs of lift, it looks like the name has been changed to Z-Trim+. This harness isn't recommended as it is either too tight to use the lift or 'bubbles' in the centre if left too loose - it's a similar issue as the Razor BAT wing but the bubbling is worse in the Z-Plus, although the internal baffles help a lot in the Z-plus also.

The Alpha-Delta harness is similar but has grommets for mounting to a backplate, it has the same problems unless used with a back plate which isn't recommended unless you're diving backmount - a major advantage of sidemount is getting rid of the backplate afterall. The trim on this harness isn't great, it's workable but isn't the best unless you are diving dry, with a dry suit you can make it work a little better as it's easier to tweek trim with the suit.

The basic UTD Z-trim with 23lbs of lift is a nice product, it's great if you can make the lift work for you, otherwise I'd go with the stealth.

The z-manifold system has some advantages, okay maybe just 1 main advantage, but has a long long list of problems. I'd liken it to changing a steel wrench for a gelatine wrench as the steel one rusts, it solves the main problem at hand but introduces a lot of more serious problems. Basically the manifold is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, unless the original problem was making the equipment manufacturer more income.

I currently have three of the four harnesses mentioned above and previously owned the fourth (I swapped my Z-plus for an Alpha-Delta) and can safely say the harness that gets used the least by far is the Alpha Delta, most students try it once and move to another harness. A lot of people used the Alpha-Delta style of wing for technical courses before we had Stealth BCs available but it looks like it's now heading for retirement!

I have the Z-trim and really like it. The flat profile of the wing is a plus. It is very easy to trim out as well. I use it for all my AL diving. I am going to try it with my Faber 85's and dry suit Saturday. I normally dive a Manta Industries setup for steel tanks. I love it, but am having to make multiple mods to it to keep it from turning in to a bubble.

If the Z-Trim does not work with the Fabers I will probably sell it and buy a Stealth setup.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2013 at 03:33 PM ----------

I should add that the Manta wing does not bubble, it actually lifts off the center of my back due in part to the length of it.

Thank you all for your help. I have noticed that sidemount has come a long way in the last 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom