Henderson Aqualock wet suits really literally STINK!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Last fall I bought a pair of 5 mm Henderson Aqualock full wetsuits, and while I like the stretchy material (MUCH easier than my old wet suits of don/doff) they both emitted (and still emit) some sort of a chemical smell that's quite stinky! Thankfully I've had them for 10 months now hanging in the garage, and I've even got one of them now hanging out on the porch, trying to air it out more, for the last week ...and counting.....to see if I can reduce the smell before I fly out on my scuba trip 7/13.

It's been a few years since I last bought a wet suit, but I don't remember any prior suits smelling strongly like these do. The suit were bought at almost the exact same time, but from 2 completely different sources, and the smell is the same, so I'm confident it's not outside contamination, but appears to be a byproduct of their material or how they're made.

What's worse, the smell clings to all it touches, swim trunks, T-shirt, me, family members notice it as well. Of the 2 suits, the one I'm taking on my trip has been dove for about 5 hrs total in an indoor pool, the other suit has never been dove. I'm taking the more used suit in the hope that the pool water and airing outside for the last week (and counting) has made at least some impact on the odor. I have used sink-the-stink a couple of times as well, which appears to have no effect but I guess it can't hurt.

Is this smell just a characteristic of the special stretchy neoprene type or what ? Anyone else experience this problem ?

Last edited:
Still airing out the suit on the porch, I turn it inside out and let air a couple days, then turn outside in and let it air a couple of days, and repeat the process. Hoping being outside in the air circulation will dilute the odor down to reasonable levels prior to my trip.

FWIW, my husband bought the Aqualock hooded vest and he didn’t notice any abnormal odours.

Might be a batch thing?

FWIW, my husband bought the Aqualock hooded vest and he didn’t notice any abnormal odours.

Hmmm, that's really weird about my 2 suits then, guess I'm just lucky. :( It's not biological in nature, it's chemical-ish, don't know if it's glue or neoprene offgassing, or some solvent used in manufacturing, bought over maybe a 2 month interval from 2 completely different retail outlets (local dive shop versus WWW based retailer).

Last edited:
Is it a rubbery smell? Maybe they’re just really new and still outgassing. Oh wait I see you said last fall. Sorry!

Maybe it's just that it's a new, better fitting suit than your last one and traps urine better, if you peed in it.

Is it a rubbery smell? Maybe they’re just really new and still outgassing. Oh wait I see you said last fall. Sorry!

It's a chemical smell more than just a rubbery smell. I've got 100% rubber Apollo Bio fins and tire inner tubes to compare it with, it's not the expected 'rubber' smell, which would be better if that were the case. They've had close to a year to outgas whatever outgassing needs to happen. It's somewhat less potent then when first purchased, but still stronger than I'd have expected a year on.

Maybe it's just that it's a new, better fitting suit than your last one and traps urine better, if you peed in it.

No peeing (yet), I think it would be an improvement if I did. I wonder if I can cure it after a week of live aboard diving with 'natural smells' :) as I'm leaving for Costa Rica/Okeanos Aggressor II this Friday ?

I bought a 7 mm and boots about a year ago and have the same problem. I've washed it a few times and used deodorizer on it, even soaked it over night and the smell is still there. I'm thinking of contacting Henderson to see if they are aware of the issue and have a solution.

Why don't you try washing it (cold or warm water only) with some mild detergent?

Back
Top Bottom