Hesitating to dive after shark attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have already said, great whites have been around here much longer than I've been diving. Of course there are places off Catalina that I don't dive... like the sea lion hauling ground at the East End.

My only concern with respect to them now is the poor visibility. If diving in waters with normal (40-50+ ft) visibility I don't worry about GW's while I'm under water and a bit when I'm at the surface. However with the poor visibility the past few months (10 ft yesterday), I don't feel as comfortable diving in Whitey's territory.

John- I wonder if the increase in GW sightings of our coast is related to the poor visibility in the surface waters. I understand a normal cruising depth is in the 100-150 ft range. Could the very poor surface visibility be driving them upwards in the water column so they can see their prey, or does their perception of electrical fields dominate?

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
...I wonder if the increase in GW sightings of our coast is related to the poor visibility in the surface waters. I understand a normal cruising depth is in the 100-150 ft range. Could the very poor surface visibility be driving them upwards in the water column so they can see their prey, or does their perception of electrical fields dominate?...

Wouldn't this have something to do with the water temp, too?

The media has done us all a disservice...

1. California has always had great white sharks..

2. California will ALWAYS have great white sharks..

3. As far as the shark attack, this chick was swimming NEAR sea lions... if you're going to dress up like a "Big Mac", expect to get bitten!

4. Smart divers don't swim amongst sea lions unless they EXPECT a GWS encounter. (research divers)

5. Divers otherwise, the odds of even SEEING a GWS is really NIL.

6. The media LOVES to scare the crap out of us anytime they can yell "SHARK"!

Is it something to think about? Not really. But, we're human and have imaginations, we're a culture that likes a thrill and has a facination with doom and gloom. Personally, with lobster season approaching, divers would be better served being wary of sticking thier arms in reef rock holes and pulling back arm chomping morays. Or, pulling those sticky urchin spines that seem to find thier way into <Insert location here> out of body parts even when you've got your bouyancy perfect in pursuit of a yummy bug.

If you want to be afraid of something at the beach, there are plenty of game wardens out there that are far more hazzardous to a confused diver than the great white shark.

Of course, you could always capitalize on the media hype and stick a fin to the back of your cylinder and swim around just past the surf zone while you hum "dun Dun DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN" through your regs!

GQMedic-

I think you have done a disservice. Shame on you as a NAUI instructor when you suggest the following.

If you want to be afraid of something at the beach, there are plenty of game wardens out there that are far more hazzardous to a confused diver than the great white shark.

Unless I've misinterpreted your statement, or it is meant in jest, I find the suggestion a bit inappropriate coming from the mouth of an instructor.

I've had my boat boarded by Fish & Game wardens when it should have been obvious that my 4" open bilge did not harbor a ton of illegal lobster or abs (this was in the early 70's). However I was glad they were out patrolling given the number of people who poach out here.

Dr. Bill

*cracking up*

Oh did you ever read way too much into it! You're wayyyyyy to serious!

As inappropriate as you felt it was for me to have said it, I had lots of fun saying it and I'll say it again! Did you think instructors are exempt from the right to make off color comments? If so, bummer!

If someone has a problem with me being an instructor who has my sense of humor or opinions, then they don't have to take scuba classes from me. I'm not an instructor for the money, I'm in it for the fun. It's not a status thing for me. I don't think being an instructor makes me any better than any other good diver. I get a thrill out of teaching new divers.

I must say that I am surprised you had this reaction to my post, but, hey, maybe you didn't read it all, I don't know. I find it equally surprising you had nothing to say about my dismissal of shark hysteria, which was the topic of my post and the thread and instead chose to remark about divers using more caution with the DFG. The remarks are more messaged to state "play it straight". Maybe I should have typed that too, I didn't anticipate confusion with my post.

Now, just to stir the pot a little more.. I'll add another little gem to this!

I DO think The DFG poses a FAR greater threat to the unwitting or unscrupulous diver than great white sharks do. Hey, go bug hunting without a gauge, or, get caught with a short bug and you'll find an instant understanding! Great White Sharks don't carry glocks! Game Wardens do! I'm more afraid of the game wardens! They even LOOK meaner than great white sharks.

Unlike the great white shark, Game Wardens actually LOOK for divers to nab!

Maybe game wardens should wear fins on thier backs, cruise around humming dun Dun DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN...

I'm certainly not going to retract my comments or appologize for my opinion just because I'm an instructor and you find fault with that. I'm still surprised you chose to get your dander up though. But hey, it's your business what you choose to react to.

drbill once bubbled...
GQMedic-

I think you have done a disservice. Shame on you as a NAUI instructor when you suggest the following.

Unless I've misinterpreted your statement, or it is meant in jest, I find the suggestion a bit inappropriate coming from the mouth of an instructor.

I've had my boat boarded by Fish & Game wardens when it should have been obvious that my 4" open bilge did not harbor a ton of illegal lobster or abs (this was in the early 70's). However I was glad they were out patrolling given the number of people who poach out here.

Dr. Bill

Hey, lets have a thread on Game Warden sightings and attacks!

Maybe we can get the DGF to change the sound made from the unitrol siren modules to sound like "DUNNNNNNNNUN, DUNNNNNNNun, DunnnnnnnnnUnnnnn, DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN"..

I want to see channel 7 air THIS: "A scuba diver was attacked by a 6 foot game warden while lobster hunting shaws cove in Laguna beach....This was the 3rd such attack since the opening of lobster season, life guards are warning divers of frequent warden sightings along the southern california coastline. Marine biologists that are experts on Game Wardens say this is typical behavior for them to prey on divers after a long uneventful summer, divers entering the water need to be aware of the risks when they enter what is ine essence, the game warden's environment".

Next in the news, Elvis lives.. after these messages...

(BTW, this is FICTION, since opening day has not arrived yet. Standard National Inquirer disclaimer)

Oh yeah! now THIS would sooooo ROCK!

stir, stir, stir, stir.. troll... troll... troll...

Guys let's refocus please. This thread is about anxiety about diving because of sharks in SoCal now, so let's not get too far from the subject. We're getting some really interesting posts.
Thanks.

Shame on me! *grin*

Soooooo, how 'bout those great whites??

All this talk about GW attacks is starting to make me think about it way too much now... way too much...
:guitar:

What's to think about? Just dive! The Big Bad Boogie Shark ain't gunna getcha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom