HF200 & WP-V1 Settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jghflash

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What seems to be the best setting for using the HF200 into available light? Use the underwater setting or not? Programmed AE? Auto white balance? Use the red filter or not? :confused:

It's a pain to have the minimum focus go to 30cm in UW mode so good macro almost goes away. I've taken it on two trips and I'm still chasing the best set up. What's your advise? Thanks!

Let's hone in on one question.......do you use the "underwater" mode or not? Thanks.

I have used it in a pool, twice now. I use P mode with AE white balance and wide angle lens with red filter. I will be using in salt water in one week will tell you how it goes. I have had the lens practically touching items and they have been in focus with this set up.

My dive buddy used underwater mode in Turks/Caicos last month. The results in bright daylight were disappointing - way too much light blue.

He's now shopping for a red filter...

I use auto, WAL and no filter but lights (1 Inon LE 250 as a focus light, 4 Inon LE 550- W as main light source). I do however dive mostly in green, cold water with low viz. Do now and again try to white balance by shutting the camera down and restarting after which I focus on a white slate.

I use AE. If you have a specific video task and the time to make repeated dives and adjustments, you can probably do better than Auto, but during a typical dive with varying depths and lighting, how will you compensate?

White balance is not adjustable with the WP-V1. I like the idea of turning off then back on pointed at a white slate, that is if it will hold the setting for the duration of the shot. I'll have to give this one a try.

Lights are good at close range but rapidly lose effectiveness with distance. What type of shooting will you be doing?

For shooting in natural light, filters are a tradeoff. Any filter placed between the subject and the lens will reduce the available light. At depth with the HF20/200, you want all the light you can get. The UW mode is fine for shallow shots, and adds about half (or less) of the red correction needed for darker shots. You can add the rest in editing.

No low cost camcorder sees colors the way you do. Getting a nice steady shot is only the beginning. Being a good editor is just as important. I'm still lousy at it. Posting a video that was made by just cutting and stringing clips is like going to the store in a bathrobe, with hair disheveled and needing a shave.

the underwater mode is for Blue tropic waters... and i dive in Green puget sound waters.. so it doesnt apply to my video here.. But i do believe a Good light set up will cure the use of the underwater setting .. Ive have been diving with my Canon HF200 for about 3 months now and the video quality is amazing , and im really glad i bought the canon.. The best advice is to read the other thread on the canon and see how others are setting up there canon's for diving..

Hello. I have the HF20 and am just about to buy the WP-V1 housing. There has been lots of mention to wide angle lenses, do I really need to use one, what will be the result if I dont? Any help please. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom