Hi all..newbie here!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am taking a pre-SCUBA course called Discover SCUBA this Thursday. I have done alot of research and read about the pros and cons of SCUBA diving and I must say this is really exciting stuff.
The funny thing is...I am not much of a water person...well atleast I didnt think I was. I went snorkeling for the 1st time in April 2000 in St. Croix..it was the first time ever in the ocean and the first time I was in water I couldn't touch the ground in. :/ I was put in the water and told to breath out of a tube..lol..needless to say...the water was choppy and I was not a happy landlover.
My girlfriend thought I would never try it again, but I did.
Now I am alot more comfortable in the water and have decided to take the next and most logical step..although swimming lessons might help too. :wink:
I have read several posts about peoples experiences being introduced to SCUBA and I am trying not to let any one of them 'sink' in. Everyone takes to the new experience differently, I am certainly excited about this Thursday. If I like it then I will sign up for the PADI open water cert.

Ohh and by the way..I dont normally write this much..soo dont worry on future posts. :wink:

Jason

Make sure you do your reserch on your instructor. Thats they key ingredient to having a fun and safe OW cert.

Talk to them, and if you can talk to some of there former students.

Jason,

Jim's right, ask the store for referances for your Instructor and check them out. I've had both good and bad Instructors through the years and that will definately make the differance between a good experience and a bad one. Also keep in mind that if you live in Chicago like your location says and you're doing your entire class localy, meaning that you're not going to take a trip to the ocean for the openwater dives it's not going to be ANYTHING like you seen in St. Croix. Lakes are usually murky, which means low visibility, cold, especially up north, and there isn't a whole lot to see, little marine life, no coral, and few plants. Lakes are not the best place to dive but unfortunately when it's all ya got it's better then nothing and it's a great place to practice the skills you're going to learn. I lived in South Carolina for several years near the Georgia border so the only place we had to do training dives was in a lake. People hated it but I always told them to keep at it and the first time they dove in the ocean they'ed be hooked. You're ahead of those people because you've already seen what the ocean is like.

Good luck.

Scott

Hi and welcome to the board.

I agree with everything previously said plus I will add my two cents worth.

Try to get recommendations from people you trust. If you know someone else who is certified talk to them. Also try and talk to the instructor before class begins. I did that at another shop before going to the one I decided to get certified from. I could tell right away that the instructor had a differant view on diving then I did. He seemed to be under the impression that the certification part wasn't important and belittled his own class. I didn't feel comfortable there.

Jessica

Thanks for the helpful suggestions! Yes, I am already hooked on ocean life. In my certification, I could careless if I see a fish or any life form for that matter, well except for my instructor. I want to concentrate on good techniques and especially safety. Although I am not particularly interested in doing my open water cert in Lake Michigan, I hear the visibility this year has hit 80ft.

of good wreck diving in the Great Lakes! Mix in some warm water trips and you'll have the best of both worlds. I agree with the others that having a really good instructor is important. Equally important IMHO is that the student must be a really good student also. Most scuba classes are pretty condensed and move pretty quickly. Make sure you are fully prepared to participate in class and pool training. Most of all relax and have fun!

Go where divers go, not just the shops. Hang out at the local dive spot & chat with the guys as they emerge from the lake. Ask them who they consider a good teacher for a guy who is just getting used to the water. Be prepared to face your most basic fears in OW. You may overcome them quickly, & you may need more time. Either way, the rare priviledge of going where few humans get to go is an exhilliaration that transforms lives. Divers are interesting people to hang with (IMHO), & there are indeed dozens of interests to specialize in after you get your feet wet (wreck, marine life, ice, etc.)

Don't let yourself be rushed past your comfort zone; the resulting deepening of your natural fears could hold you back. Ask any of us when u have particular questions. We love to help.

jepuskar:
I am taking a pre-SCUBA course called Discover SCUBA this Thursday. I have done alot of research and read about the pros and cons of SCUBA diving and I must say this is really exciting stuff.
The funny thing is...I am not much of a water person...well atleast I didnt think I was. I went snorkeling for the 1st time in April 2000 in St. Croix..it was the first time ever in the ocean and the first time I was in water I couldn't touch the ground in. :/ I was put in the water and told to breath out of a tube..lol..needless to say...the water was choppy and I was not a happy landlover.
My girlfriend thought I would never try it again, but I did.
Now I am alot more comfortable in the water and have decided to take the next and most logical step..although swimming lessons might help too. :wink:
I have read several posts about peoples experiences being introduced to SCUBA and I am trying not to let any one of them 'sink' in. Everyone takes to the new experience differently, I am certainly excited about this Thursday. If I like it then I will sign up for the PADI open water cert.

Ohh and by the way..I dont normally write this much..soo dont worry on future posts. :wink:

Jason
Well thanks for sharing this Jason.

dlndavid:
Well thanks for sharing this Jason.

Still up to the same old tricks.....LOL

Dang, talk about dragging up things from the grave. Sometimes it is best to leave three year old posts in the archive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom