Hi; newbie diver just getting my feet wet.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I would start by asking if the instruction will be done on the knees or neutral and horizontal. If you find a local shop--any agency--saying neutral and horizontal, that is where I would go.
Best advice ...

I was lucky on my OW. Due to covid all the pools were closed. I was able to get private lessons from my LDS in a friends, 9' deep, kidney shaped pool. My confined water instructor had me working on every skill, while trying to be neutral; in a drysuit. I of course, was all over the place, at first, especially since the deepest part was 9' deep, with rounded bottom corners; while she just floated 8" above the bottom, looking like she was on a bed. LDS owner himself, gave me private OW classes. ( helps when one spends a ton on gear, some used, from the shop) Neutral buoyancy was stressed, nothing was done on my knees.

As with any skill, the instructor is important, but what the student puts into the subject is far more important. Practice the skills until you feel you have mastered them and it almost won't matter what dive agency or who your instructor was. That said, be prepared to find out that your instructor (who you researched and was guaranteed to be the BESTEST ever!) taught you to do something either wrong, or not in the way that really works better. When that happens, be ready to roll with it. It's hard to unlearn bad habits and replace them with new ones, but not impossible. Good luck and welcome to an awesome sport/hobby/obsession/addiction!

Agency doesn't matter they standards are all the same its just how the material is presented that is different.

I'm going to recommend that you do the entire class local, that way you can just enjoy your vacation.

All shops around here require you to purchase mask, fins, snorkel, boots and sometimes hood.

Mask MUST FIT PROPERLY.

Mask MUST FIT PROPERLY.
Yes, it must, however....

I know of more than a few divers who went through several masks trying to find a good fit before they realized that the problem was them, not the mask. You have to maintain a poker face as you dive. If you smile or otherwise distort your face during the dive, even a good fitting mask will leak.

Agency doesn't matter they standards are all the same its just how the material is presented that is different.

I'm going to recommend that you do the entire class local, that way you can just enjoy your vacation.

All shops around here require you to purchase mask, fins, snorkel, boots and sometimes hood.

Mask MUST FIT PROPERLY.
Agree on all. Especially getting it done locally so on your vacation you can just dive.

Back
Top Bottom