HID light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ps1mhd

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just got a jvc video and ikelite housing
and don't have the money for the ikelite light yet.
I do have a 21 watt HID canister light I use for caves.
Has anyone tried one for video?
Will be diving it in a couple of weeks.

Mike

You may build a diffuser disk and mount to have a wider beam as cave canister lights often have a very narrow "light sabre" beam. Using very light yellow or red glass/plastic for the diffuser you can get rid of the cold, blueish HID coloured light.
Some used Lee gel filters to achieve a 5500 Kelvin colour temp, but you have to experiment ab bit what will be the right one.

Chris

I just got a jvc video and ikelite housing
and don't have the money for the ikelite light yet.
I do have a 21 watt HID canister light I use for caves.
Has anyone tried one for video?
Will be diving it in a couple of weeks.

Mike

Hi Mike.

A mate of mine has a JVC Picsio HD and the Ikelite housing with WA wetlens. He borrowed my DR 15W HID adjustable focus can light to punch back some colour.

It worked very well and on a wide spread I think all it really needs was some diffuser like a white plastic bag to even out the spread of the beam as often there was a halo effect in the middle when the beam was at its widest.

If you do have the JVC Picsio? If you do forget zooming in as pixelates. He was happy with the footage and alot of the errors occured were user related.

Regards Mark

I wouldn't worry too much about color temperature. Cut out the side of a plastic milk bottle to make a diffuser, stick it on with some rubber bands and you are good to go.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom