High Pressure Fibre Tanks for shore diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have plates in my Sidemount System, and weight pockets for fine tuning, depending undergarment, water type or cold or tropical water.

I have dived pretty much all type of tanks on AL, Steel and Carbondives, for me the Carbondive 7Lx300 are the winners.

Storker
Yes I know that a tank at 300Bar is not linear with volume, but like I mention I just have them overfilled and cooled and then fill them again until they are cold at 330 to 350 Bar.

And I have clubmates who dive with D7x300 steels and still carry (more than) enough ditchable weight on their belt. If they were to switch to carbon tanks, they'd just have to add the weight difference to their belt. What advantage would then carbon tanks give?

You can carry the weights separately, for one.

"Carbondive are scuba tanks and have no issues with water."

The issue with these tanks, is that they cannot be easily inspected fully, and because of the design are, more susceptible to damage.

They have 3 layers.
1. A lightweight "thin" metal liner
2. A carbon fiber wrap
3. Protective Glass fibre layer

Because the metallic liner is thinner than regular tanks, it must have tighter tolerances with respect to corrosion damage.

The carbon wrap is not structurally bonded to the liner, so their is an interface. If at anytime moisture gets between the carbon and the liner, galvanic corrosion starts. You cannot see this visually because it's hidden

The top layer of glass is there to protect the carbon - it can be repaired within limits, but if the damages allows moisture to the carbon then that's bad. Salt crystals are sharp and can abraid the fibres as well as the corrosion aspect

To inspect in service, you could obviously visually inspect the internal surface of the liner, but the rest of the material could only be inspected by Ultrasonic inspection.

Because of the make up this isn't that simple as you have effectively an air gap between the glass fibre and the carbon, and between the carbon and the liner, which can block (attenuate) the ultrasound signal, and of course phase transitions as different materials have different properties for sound travel

The upshot of all of this, is you would need to have these inspected by a test house that has significant experience in aerospace carbon component inspections

I don't believe the costs associated with these cylinders as well as the potential risk of in service defects makes them an good and certainly not and economical alternative.

Because of the tiny quantity of these cylinders in service over a short tie (compared with traditional cylinders) you can't predict a life span based on evidence

For interest Luxfer publish this document While it isn't specifically Scuba cylinders, it does show in detail the manufacturing as well as teh damage and repair limits

Back
Top Bottom