Hiring a guide/coach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Peter and I haven't unloaded the bags from the car yet, and already we're tentatively planning a return trip to Florida in February.

One of the things I suggested was the possibility of arranging a day or two with an instructor on a return trip, to get some further coaching on our reel work (which could use some improvement) and maybe on best ways to manage flow. Does this sound like a good idea? Do instructors typically do this kind of thing, outside of teaching a specific organized class?

I beleave Capt. Wyatt and GDI both do but not positive.

You should be able to arrange guided dives with most Cave instructors (for a fee, of course). Alternately, some instructors will let you tag along with classes they are teaching (as long as you hold a cert that qualifies you to do the dives the class requires). You can learn some interesting things just observing a class. . .

Can't imagine why they wouldn't. Good instructors offer instruction, not cert cards.

I can't see an issue with any instructor down here doing that with you. Don't know how much they would charge though for their time.
I think GDI would for sure , and Jim Wyatt as stated before.
I know Jim does a LOT of guided dives etc down here. I see him around doing classes and guides every week it seems. :D
Watch out for Rick (GDI) though , he IS DEVIOUS !!! :D
(Had him for Full Cave , we had FUN in the Mud Tunnel in Ginnie )

Crazy thing about Ginnie is that you can find places that the flow actually pushes you on the way in. It took me time to find the spots , but the instructors can show you BEST way etc (high flow). I had to do it by trial and error :rofl3:

Glad you had a WONDERFUL time down here !!! :D
I was over at Devil's Saturday and I must have just missed you.

Maybe see you in February. :D

HAPPY HOLIDAYS btw.

Jeano Beano

yeah, most instructors will

talk to GDI ... dude's about as good as it gets

ok, so he's a Canadian .. but ok ... nobody's perfect

Rich would be an excellent choice. He and I discussed guided dives several times and I think he would show you the right tracks, corners and nooks to use.

I think your reel work will improve with more experience diving in the environment. Why spend money on a new instructor when you could be practicing the skills you learned in your cavern and cave class by just diving in Florida with a reel?

I think your reel work will improve with more experience diving in the environment. Why spend money on a new instructor when you could be practicing the skills you learned in your cavern and cave class by just diving in Florida with a reel?
I kinda was thinking the same thing, but came to the conclusion that when they are ready to hit the caves by themselves, they will know it and will do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom