Hit a brick wall with air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for the americans, that's a sac of about .7
which isn't all that bad. Depending on your body type it may never get lower than that. Don't know how good of shape you are in and everything else, but like people were saying earlier, make sure you're exhaling completely and breathing from the bottom of your lungs. If it doesn't get any lower, don't worry, it's not all that bad

Your weighting has a big, even huge, effect on your air consumption. Not having to add and vent, and then add again air makes a big difference. You also don't have to labor in doing things either.

I "sleep breathe" when I dive, which means nice slow breathing which isn't overly deep. Just a nice slow inhale and exhale. You also can watch your depth. You use more air for every breath at a deeper depth, so if you don't need to be down there, then stay shallower. Swimming around for 1/2 your dive at 90 feet is going to use up a lot of air.

Last I find that I can use a lot of air on the initial descent. Getting underwater and then down to depth can get you breathing fast, and wastes a lot of air up front if you then have good consumption from then on.

Weighting - reassess your weighting. IF you are overweighted, your weights pull your torso down and the air that you have to add to your BCD pullsyour shoulders up. You move through the water in a move upright rather than horizontal position. You have to move much move water out of the way and burn through your air.

Keeping yourself as stream lined as possible [less drag] will help....keep as much equipment as close to the body as possible...This is particularly true w/certain style BC's that have big pockets......Especially swimming against strong currents......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom