Hitting the pipe again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Merry has been asking to visit the White Point outfall pipes for awhile. We needed to get gas in the boat, so we cruised around the peninsula toward San Pedro. The ocean was dead calm with no wind in sight.

We dropped into surprisingly good visibility. San Pedro is not known for its great conditions. As the bottom came into view we could see the pipe was covered by marine life. I don't even want to mention what the inside of the pipe looks like.

WhitePoint7_zpsd1c100ee.jpg

WhitePoint10_zps3dcfc9e4.jpg

WhitePoint2_zpsebcd0b2a.jpg

WhitePoint11_zpsd54771cf.jpg

WhitePoint18_zps8051cde5.jpg

WhitePoint19_zps23c8cf26.jpg

WhitePoint20_zpsf1b8b42c.jpg

WhitePoint26_zps687a2b82.jpg

Besides the usual nudibranchs and top snails which are common on the pipe we found patches of squid eggs covering the surrounding sand. A large cabezon kept approaching my camera as if he was interested in his reflection.

WhitePoint3_zps04be4264.jpg

WhitePoint12_zpsed006ce3.jpg

After an hour at the zoo we ascended next to the kelp that is currently growing on the pipe. I found a tiny nudibranch that didn't look familiar. Merry and I took a ton of photos. It turned out to be a color variation of Triopha maculata, which I have plenty of in my image collection.

WhitePoint13_zpse1c33e96.jpg

Back on the boat, Merry asked if I saw the Melibe leoninas on the kelp. I hadn't, so after a visit to the fuel dock we returned to the pipe. We saw the same subjects as the first dive, except this time I found out why the cabezon kept approaching me. He was guarding his nest. We missed that completely on the first dive. I took a shot from a few feet away with my macro setup. I hope Merry's shots are better than mine.

WhitePoint22_zps6c33c9bb.jpg

WhitePoint25_zps00465051.jpg

WhitePoint23_zps12888647.jpg

WhitePoint24_zps49d972be.jpg

Love that last melibe shot. And the second nudibranch has been overeating!

I'm always amazed by you guys' photographs of the nudis. The detail on the texture of the bodies is just awe inspiring. And it's definitely cool to know that Lion's Mane nudis do get this far south.

Wow.. nice! Somehow I can never find any nudis myself so I'll just have to live vicariously through your pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom