Hog D 2 balance plug removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urbantchr

Registered
Reaction score
What size is the Allen wrench for Hog D 2 balance plug? 1/4" is too big, 6mm too small, it stripped the socket head out so now needs to be drilled, and easy out. Thanks for any help

I have Hog D1's and there is nothing on them called a "balance plug"

It should be 6mm. A good 6mm. Not a crappy chinese made 6mm hex.
Note that if you frill it deep enough for the average easy out, you will need to replace the plug as you'll likely go through the bottom.
It also should only be torqued to 80-90 inch lbs. Over torquing is usually the reason for a seized plug. Either that or corrosion seizing it up because it was flooded, not rinsed properly after use for a long period of time, or as I said, over torqued.

I have Hog D1's and there is nothing on them called a "balance plug"
It's not a balance chamber plug on a D1. On a D1 it's the turret bolt that serves the same function in holding the HP seat.

It should be 6mm. A good 6mm. Not a crappy chinese made 6mm hex.
Note that if you frill it deep enough for the average easy out, you will need to replace the plug as you'll likely go through the bottom.
It also should only be torqued to 80-90 inch lbs. Over torquing is usually the reason for a seized plug. Either that or corrosion seizing it up because it was flooded, not rinsed properly after use for a long period of time, or as I said, over torqued.
Thanks for your response. Definitely over torqued, and clean as a whistle inside. Have a pair used for stages, and the 2nd is the same. Tried two 6mm from DRIS`s reg service tool kit, both sloppy fit. I for sure need to replace the plug, so I'm afraid to destroy the plug in the second one. Gonna send it to HOG for service see if they have any advice, while l carry the 2nd reg around to find a properly fitting tool.

Thanks for your response. Definitely over torqued, and clean as a whistle inside. Have a pair used for stages, and the 2nd is the same. Tried two 6mm from DRIS`s reg service tool kit, both sloppy fit. I for sure need to replace the plug, so I'm afraid to destroy the plug in the second one. Gonna send it to HOG for service see if they have any advice, while l carry the 2nd reg around to find a properly fitting tool.
I bought a Snap-On 6 mm hex socket for just that reason. The Craftsman ones I have are also good, but older and it gets to the point where I just don't take chances.
I also only use it on a ratchet or CDN Calibrated Torque Wrench with the reg body clamped in a soft jawed padded vise using a 1st stage tool in the HP port to keep it from twisting on plugs that have been put in too tight or are seized. This allows you to also put some downward pressure on the socket and keep it straight. I made jaws for my vise and then have 1/8inch 90 duro rubber sheeting that I line it with to keep from scratching the body.

can we please keep the discussion to the D2 regulator....

1663267144073.png

Back
Top Bottom