HOG D3 Environment Seal Bulge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey gang.. I saw previous posts about the environmental seal on the HOG D3 bulging out and it caused me to check mine. I own 2 D3's.

- Reg 1 - Less than 30 dives it was bulging when not pressurized and worse when under pressure.

- Reg 2 - 90 ish dives same as above but not as bad.

I was able to follow advice from other threads with removing and reapplying with the reg pressurized. This seemed to resolve the bulge on Reg 2 But Reg 1 still has a small protrusion when under pressure. I think this may because the rubber seal has been pushing for awhile but not sure.

Should I replace the seal?

Reg 1 pictures after "fixing" are attached.

Also is it normal to have moisture on the threads of seal retainer?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_5946.jpeg
    IMG_5946.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5945.jpeg
    IMG_5945.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: OTF
It should be bulging under pressure. It should not when unpressurised. It's normal.

Take off end cap, turn air on and put end cap back on. If you lightly press on diaphragm while turning air off and purging it will go down. Turn air back in again and you should see it rise again and it will go down by itself when you turn air off and purge. You're done.

Picture one is how it should look with gas off and after purging all air out of system.

Picture two is how it should look under pressure.

How long since last service? A small intermittent air leak could cause this. A constant leak would probably blow the seal.

What is your altitude? When I lived at 6000 ft, my seals were bulging without being pressurized but flattened at sea level.

The cap threads are outside of the seal so yeah they are going to get wet.

The one pictured is almost brand new with no more than 3 dives... we are not at altitude where I live.

How long since last service? A small intermittent air leak could cause this. A constant leak would probably blow the seal.

What is your altitude? When I lived at 6000 ft, my seals were bulging without being pressurized but flattened at sea level.

The cap threads are outside of the seal so yeah they are going to get wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom