MK17 environmental seal rattling/leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I'm missing something but how does this relate to "rattle"? Cheers.
If there's a big bubble under the environmental seal, the transmitter won't be trapped as closely, and might rattle up and down a bit under the cap. At least that's my presumption.

Thanks everyone, always nice to hear from Buddhasummer, Rsingler, and Lexvil - you guys are legends. I guess this is a non-issue, which is nice to hear. I'd prefer that the environmental seal did not lose vacuum, but whatever, I just wanted to know that it's not a malfunction.

I appreciate the kind words. On the other hand, I think it IS a minor malfunction. Even the big companies don't always get it right. At least this malfunction won't kill you.

I appreciate the kind words. On the other hand, I think it IS a minor malfunction. Even the big companies don't always get it right. At least this malfunction won't kill you.
Definitely would be better if it held vacuum. Mine seems to lose vacuum overnight, not in a few months like you mentioned. There's a plastic washer between the end cap and the heatsink fins that the cap screws into. Should I ditch the plastic washer? Maybe that will give the cap better contact with the environmental seal?

Rob and Simon are legend, I’m just a troll :wink:

a random thought on this, I don’t have a 17 to try it on but I’m wondering if a shim from a mk25 could go between the clear seal and the cap to put a little more squeeze on that silicone environmental seal?? Perhaps a touch of cristolube to stop binding as it’s tightened.

I’m wondering if a shim from a mk25 could go between the clear seal and the cap to put a little more squeeze on that silicone environmental seal??
That's an awesome idea! I'll try it tonight and let you know in 2 months...

It's just a decorative trim piece. Doesn't affect environmental cap pressure on the seal. Hang onto it, because, well, I don't know...
Because it looks good obviously:)

Rob and Simon are legend, I’m just a troll :wink:

a random thought on this, I don’t have a 17 to try it on but I’m wondering if a shim from a mk25 could go between the clear seal and the cap to put a little more squeeze on that silicone environmental seal?? Perhaps a touch of cristolube to stop binding as it’s tightened.
Sorry Lex, but you are a legend.

Back
Top Bottom