MK17 environmental seal rattling/leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Scotty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just bought a used MK17, it looks basically new/unused. IP is rock stead at 135 psi (goes to 140 at 500psi). When I got it the "plunger" in the environmental seal was rattling a bit. I figured it was because someone put the environmental seal on without that reg being pressurized. I put it back on under pressure and it sucked back down and the rattle was gone.

Then this morning I picked it up and the rattle has returned. It would seem that either the diaphragm or the environmental must be leaking then? One of the LP ports was open with no hose or plug, I feel like that should not matter, but perhaps it does? Perhaps this is just something that happens with MK17s? (I doubt it). Anyway, figured I'd let the hive mind weigh in.

For now I'll re-pressurize it and put a plug on the open LP port and see what happens. I'd love to hear other's thoughts. Thanks.

Put the reg and tank (pressurized) in a tub of water and look for leaks. Afterwords, once dry, remove the environment cap and see if it's wet inside.

The rattle you hear will be the transmitter moving about. Unpressurised this is perfectly normal. Pressurised I'm not sure as I'm not strong enough to pick up a tank and shake it.

IMG_2537.jpeg

Part #42 (the environmental seal) is a flawed design. The lip isn't under enough pressure before the cap bottoms to stay sealed. When you reattach your seal (with the reg pressurized) and then turn off the tank, that nice concave seal (which SP conveniently hides under a cap) slowly loses its vacuum, and goes flat. When you next pressurize, the seal bulges and your reg doesn't properly sense ambient pressure until depth compresses the bubble enough for the seal to now press on the transmitter. Maybe a few feet. Not a huge deal.

All three of my Mk19EVO's arrived from the factory with bulging seals. My two Mk17's don't keep their seal longer than a couple of months.

I spoke to René Dupré at Scubapro about it, and I proposed helping the seal by filling the little groove that is grabbed by the cap, with Christolube.

He said to just install as per the manual, but I tried it anyway. It didn't help. Dry or with goop, the seal doesn't hold. My Deep6 stays concave forever. My HOG stays concave forever. Your issue is common, unfortunately.

Just don’t shake the 17, you’ll be happier.

love the 17 EVO, I’ve moved away from SP Regs because they decided to drop it.

Part #42 (the environmental seal) is a flawed design. The lip isn't under enough pressure before the cap bottoms to stay sealed. When you reattach your seal (with the reg pressurized) and then turn off the tank, that nice concave seal (which SP conveniently hides under a cap) slowly loses its vacuum, and goes flat. When you next pressurize, the seal bulges and your reg doesn't properly sense ambient pressure until depth compresses the bubble enough for the seal to bow press on the transmitter. Maybe a few feet. Not a huge deal.

All three of my Mk19EVO's arrived from the factory with bulging seals. My two Mk17's don't keep their seal longer than a couple of months.

I spoke to René Dupré at Scubapro about it, and I proposed helping the seal by filling the little groove that is grabbed by the cap with Christolube.

He said to just install as per the manual, but I tried it anyway. It didn't help. Dry or with goop, the seal doesn't hold. My Deep6 stays concave forever. My HOG stays concave forever. Your issue is common, unfortunately.
I guess I'm missing something but how does this relate to "rattle"? Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom