HOG in magazines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the time brands in magazines, PAY to be in that magazine.

The first step in being a proficient, local diver is to ignore the mainstream scuba magazines that only try sell gear and trips to vacation-only divers.

its like anything your "primary" big companies have the cash to pay for advertising and they have the distribution networks established. Companies like hog, Diverite, and a bunch of others are too boutiquish where the magazine (unless it is a little more regional or skill specific) wont even review them because only 1/4 of their readers may have access to the products. Your main companies like Oceanic, Scubapro, Aqualung, Aires, and Hollis get more of the Magazines "typical" readers attention.

Who needs magazines to talk about hog rigs anyway ... that's what ScubaBoard is for ... :blinking:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

just wondering why hog is not mentioned in any dive mags?? Seems kinda odd considering how popular they are......:eyebrow:

If you'll notice most of the time that the gear that magazines are talking about, is gear from advertisers who pay for "full page ad's" in that magazine.

any marketing business (magazines included) is going to push products that they get paid to push. (that's expected).

In the long run, while it might add sales volume for the product, it also increases product cost. so more money out of your pocket for that advertised product.

The argument that the mags cater to the big companies is less valid now that just about all the big companies are now selling hog gear. The problem, I believe, is that hog equipment is still perceived to appeal to a small niche of the total scuba market, a niche so small it is not worth the attention of the mass mags. Hog gear is instead marketed through more targeted media.

There was a thread a couple of years ago in which a scuba retailer revealed some official industry statistics to which he had access. The one that stood out in my mind was BCD sales. Less than 1% of all BCDs sold nationwide are BP/Ws. I probably had 400 dives in 20 places around the world before I saw my first BP/W. In resort area dives around the world, I don't think I have seen more than 15 BP/Ws other than on boats dedicated to tech diving, and probably 12 of those 15 were diving with me.

The popularity of hog gear on ScubaBoard and other Internet forums does not accurately reflect its popularity in the overall scuba market.

I don't advertise in the "BIG" magazines. Honestly I have difficulty with a few aspects of it......

Cost- it is expensive, very much so

Reviews, when i was at another brand they reviewed a new regulator. They complained about bubbles in your field of view. they accompanied the article with a picture of the reg in question with the exhaust T installed upside down and the mouthpiece held on with a non factory orange ziptie. I mean REALLY????!!!! It DID NOT leave us that way...They couldn't be bothered to print a retraction/clarification of their review and the brand spent tens of thousands every year with that magazine.

Growth- I can only grow as a company so fast.... I like organic growth and prefer the consumer-centric, social driven growth we have had.

Possibly the glossy rags are in my future, if they are it will be after the industry shift is complete

Since Chris is reading this.......

so is HOG going to submit their regs to magazine tests like what Scuba Diving Magazine does for "Scuba Labs Regulator Test" ?

just curious.....

(I'm not sure of the process SD mag does. But I doubt they just go out and buy a bunch of regs to test, but use ones submitted).

EDIT: I was typing my reply and didn't see Chris's post of past experience with their 'tests'.

Back
Top Bottom