HOG regulator question about the D1 and D2 models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aprxh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is the difference between the D1 and D2 model for the first and second stages on the HOG regulator?

second stages, non really, just a chroming difference and the new ones are reversible, but the guts are the same.
D1 is modeled after the Apeks DST and has a swivel turret at the bottom, 5LP ports and 2 HP ports, the D2 is modeled after the Apeks DS4 and has 4 LP ports and 2HP ports and is black. Both breathe the same and are the same balanced diaphragm on the inside.
A lot of that decision will depend on what kind of diving you're doing. I don't like turret first stages for anything except doubles, and even that is only because of the 5th port. Some people swear by them on sidemount, and some like them on singles. They irritate the bejeezus out of me on single tanks because all of the hoses are moving all the time. On doubles they're fine though because there isn't a whole lot of hose movement, and the 5th port makes routing LPI and octo hoses a lot easier.

The new reversible second stages are NOT available yet. I expect in Jan.

There is no such thing as a D2 second stage(D2 stands for diaphragm 2), there is a HOG Second Stage an a HOG SE Second Stage, the chrome is black on the SE.

The D2 is NOT modeled on a apeks reg, I HATED the seat on the first EDGE Epic first stage, it worked fine but like every other HP seat of like design it was a PITA in real life application. I instructed my oem to make the same first stage with the same internals as the D1 and they did. It is used in my EDGE Epic first stage and also as the D2 now.

Thanks for the information. The reason I asked was because on the Dive Right in Scuba site, when you select to buy the single regulator set up they have a drop down that gives you both the D1 and D2 for both the first stage and second stage. I guess I should give them a call.

Thanks for the information. The reason I asked was because on the Dive Right in Scuba site, when you select to buy the single regulator set up they have a drop down that gives you both the D1 and D2 for both the first stage and second stage. I guess I should give them a call.

yeah, they did that when I first did the SE series for last years Black Friday. I have mentioned it but now DRIS and half my dealers call the SE Second the D2 second..... lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom