HOG Zenith D3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rocdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and I am thinking about investing in my own gear. I have been pondering this package from Divers Supply: Hog Zenith Back Inflate Tek X Scuba Package
Does anyone have any advice on this HOG Zenith D3? They seem really great on paper for the money. The concern of course is that I am not sure my LDS would service them. Any thoughts on this as an entry level choice or experience with them would be much appreciated.
Incidentally, I am buying a lot of stuff from my LDS, but they only seem to carry high end stuff (and this has been true of a couple of shops I tried) and I am not ready to invest in top-of-the-line equipment. I just want to be comfortable with my own gear while I develop as a diver, while still having something reasonably solid.
Thank you!

Is your LDS a Hog Dealer? If not, probably not. But there must be several Hog dealers in the greater DC area. Store-Locator

Of course you can also send it to Divers Supply. Actually I believe Hog actually rents office/fulfillment space from DS for their operations. Scubatoys in Dallas also is and has a quick turnaround. Or [user]Jim Lapenta[/user] at UDS here on SB - he's in PA.

The interesting thing about that package is you'll optionally have to find someone who can service Hog, Mares and Sea Elite if you want to have all your gear serviced routinely. IMO you probably don't need to have the BC serviced as often. And if the spool/o-rings in the gauges are standard - they likely are - just about anyone can do that. Sometimes it's better to buy all the reg components from the same mfr.

Sea Elite is only serviced at DS (it's their house brand) so that may be your default.

Last edited:
You can also take the course to learn to service your own HOG gear.

I dove the hell out of my new HOG regs in Dominica last year. No problems whatsoever with them. Great breathing regs.

The only thing I don't like about that package is that second stages are different. I've got identical HOG second stages on my set and prefer to spend a little extra to make sure the octo is the same quality as the main second stage.

A TDI nitrox card is sufficient tech credentials for the HOG course. I got mine online with zero dives required :D

A few things:

1) You should always invest in quality gear. In scuba quality is not always the same as expensive. Hog uses a different business model so they can sell it cheaper.

2) BCs do not need an annual service, so the fact that Sea Elite is only serviced by Diver's Supply is a non-issue. If the hoses or valves need replacement they are standard items.

3) I do not like the octo, call Diver's Supply and ask them how much to swap it out for either a Hog D1 or an Edge (same company as HOG) octo. While that octo can be serviced by any dive shop most will refuse because they are not an authorized dealer.

4) There are HOG dealers in the DC area or you can mail them out DRIS, Cave Adventurers, or TDL are additional choices.

5) The only technical cert needed for the HOG service course is TDI Nitrox.

6) For BCs fit is very important so I am not sure it is wise to buy a conventional BC mail order. A backplate and wing would be OK because the fit is more adjustable.

Thank you everyone, this is very helpful. The dealer list from diversteve also allowed me to find a store I had no idea about, which is pretty much next door to my house! I'll check them out.

The Hog D3/Zenith is a great set of regs. I love mine dearly....so much so that I sold off much more expensive regs to replace them all with these. About getting them serviced: It's once every two years for "normal" service.....but the main recommendation is that there's no need to service them until there's a need (something starts acting up). Something as simple as a $15 IP gauge will be the main tool for that. Contact Jim Lapenta on these boards for his recommendation.

I am not ready to invest in top-of-the-line equipment. I just want to be comfortable with my own gear while I develop as a diver, while still having something reasonably solid.
Thank you!

This might be a better deal for you:

SHOPPING CART

PRODUCT NAMEUNIT PRICEQTYSUBTOTAL
Continue ShoppingUpdate Shopping Cart
HOG 2nd Stage Classic RegulatorEdit$64.95$64.95Remove item
Cave Adventurers Gauges

6" Hose Add OnNo ThanksColorWhiteSize2.5"
Edit$48.00$48.00Remove item
HOG D1 w/ 2nd Stage Combo

2nd Stage Soft CoversNo ThanksBraided Regulator Hose40"Upgrade1st Stage Cold Water
Edit$169.00$169.00Remove item

Grand Total$281.95
Subtotal$281.95

• -OR-
  • Proceed to Checkout

Discount Codes

This might be a better deal for you:

SHOPPING CART

PRODUCT NAMEUNIT PRICEQTYSUBTOTAL
Continue ShoppingUpdate Shopping Cart
HOG 2nd Stage Classic RegulatorEdit$64.95$64.95Remove item
Cave Adventurers Gauges

6" Hose Add OnNo ThanksColorWhiteSize2.5"
Edit$48.00$48.00Remove item
HOG D1 w/ 2nd Stage Combo

2nd Stage Soft CoversNo ThanksBraided Regulator Hose40"Upgrade1st Stage Cold Water
Edit$169.00$169.00Remove item

Grand Total$281.95
Subtotal$281.95

• -OR-
  • Proceed to Checkout

Discount Codes

I think that ship has sailed. Price seems to have gone back to 109.00.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom