Holiday Inn and DiveTech - Any Feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I'm going to assume we're not going to be shaken down by police officers, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "shaken down" can you give an example?

I'm not sure what you mean by "shaken down" can you give an example?

You know how when you're driving in Mexico, and the police will pull you over and say you did this or that wrong, then say you need to go to the police station with them or you can take care of it on the spot with USD?

Maybe "shaken down" is not the appropriate phrase? :D

Usually a shake-down is when you get stopped by the police and then are let go only if you pay them a bribe. I have heard tell of that being relatively common in Mexico, for example.

Yeah West Bay is up north, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

I haven't stayed at Sunset House in a long time, it's been a long time since we even wandered through, so take all this with a grain of salt. SH was never my favorite place but has it's merits. It's a generally good place to hang out with a diving "vibe" and we always found the food to be pretty good. The on-site shore diving is pretty convenient as is access to downtown FWIW. It's a solid dive resort.

The big drawback to Sunset House is that their location means they tend to dive mostly the more southerly parts of the west side, or sometimes the south side near them. Most of their boats used to be slow and crappy which also limited where they could dive (besides being uncomfortable.) I don't know if that has changed. I like diving the south side but west has been heavily dove for a lot of years and can be crowded too. Maybe it's less crowded now as I think demand has caused dive ops to spread out to doing the north wall or the more northerly sites on the west when possible, I dunno. SH shore diving, while pretty resistant to getting blown out, has also been heavily dove for a lot of years. Even 20 years ago I didn't think the areas they dove were in great shape. (They used to have a really nice boat that left from the north sound and did 3 tank north/east trips, which helped balance this out, but that boat is long gone.) So staying at SH and diving with them probably won't result in you doing the best diving on Grand Cayman. People will come away with very different opinions of Grand Cayman diving depending on what area they dive.

The other thing I didn't like about Sunset House is that back in the day, it really wasn't all that nice as far as rooms, and I'm partial to nice. We were also there after some hurricane forced lots of renovations, and I still didn't think it was too nice. They are somewhat limited by their old physical plant and space. I know lots of things have been done there, and I think I heard it's been renovated again recently, so I dunno now. Maybe it's lovely now, or maybe it's fine if you're not fussy or that sort of thing isn't a priority. Many things about SH might make it a good match for you.

Yeah West Bay is up north, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

I haven't stayed at Sunset House in a long time, it's been a long time since we even wandered through, so take all this with a grain of salt. SH was never my favorite place but has it's merits. It's a generally good place to hang out with a diving "vibe" and we always found the food to be pretty good. The on-site shore diving is pretty convenient as is access to downtown FWIW. It's a solid dive resort.

The big drawback to Sunset House is that their location means they tend to dive mostly the more southerly parts of the west side, or sometimes the south side near them. Most of their boats used to be slow and crappy which also limited where they could dive (besides being uncomfortable.) I don't know if that has changed. I like diving the south side but west has been heavily dove for a lot of years and can be crowded too. Maybe it's less crowded now as I think demand has caused dive ops to spread out to doing the north wall or the more northerly sites on the west when possible, I dunno. SH shore diving, while pretty resistant to getting blown out, has also been heavily dove for a lot of years. Even 20 years ago I didn't think the areas they dove were in great shape. (They used to have a really nice boat that left from the north sound and did 3 tank north/east trips, which helped balance this out, but that boat is long gone.) So staying at SH and diving with them probably won't result in you doing the best diving on Grand Cayman. People will come away with very different opinions of Grand Cayman diving depending on what area they dive.

The other thing I didn't like about Sunset House is that back in the day, it really wasn't all that nice as far as rooms, and I'm partial to nice. We were also there after some hurricane forced lots of renovations, and I still didn't think it was too nice. They are somewhat limited by their old physical plant and space. I know lots of things have been done there, and I think I heard it's been renovated again recently, so I dunno now. Maybe it's lovely now, or maybe it's fine if you're not fussy or that sort of thing isn't a priority. Many things about SH might make it a good match for you.

Rooms at SH have all been recently upgraded in the last year and a half, as has the swimming pool. Boats are quite comfortable. They do have a separate boat that they dock in another location that they use for North Wall diving. They will shuttle everyone over to it for access to the great diving up there. It is a matter of coordinating that with other guests and getting a consensus to throw in a few days of diving up there. They did it for us. Typically the morning dives will go as far north on the west side as Lighthouse Point and down to the corner of the South Sound. I find the house shore dive to be adequate if one is willing to go explore it and not just cruise out to the statue and back. That being said, it is still a shore dive and not anywhere near what Cayman diving is all about. Nice way to get some additional bottom time at no additional cost (if staying there). I think for a first visit to Grand Cayman, it can work well for the right people. It worked for my wife and I and we did exactly what @KathyV suggested. Rented a car and explored the island and now have our preferred way of staying and diving on the island. A condo rental at Coconut Bay with friends, shore dive access on site to Hepp's Pipeline and Wall and boat diving with Brad Nelson at Cayman University Divers: Cayman University Divers
Or a stay out on the east end and dive with Ocean Frontiers.

I rate Hepp's Pipeline and/or Turtle Reef/Macabuca as the best shore diving location on the island, in my experience. The mini wall there provides a lot of variety that the Sunset House shore dive never can. Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast come a close second.

Rooms at SH have all been recently upgraded in the last year and a half, as has the swimming pool. Boats are quite comfortable. They do have a separate boat that they dock in another location that they use for North Wall diving. They will shuttle everyone over to it for access to the great diving up there. It is a matter of coordinating that with other guests and getting a consensus to throw in a few days of diving up there. They did it for us. Typically the morning dives will go as far north on the west side as Lighthouse Point and down to the corner of the South Sound. I find the house shore dive to be adequate if one is willing to go explore it and not just cruise out to the statue and back. That being said, it is still a shore dive and not anywhere near what Cayman diving is all about. Nice way to get some additional bottom time at no additional cost (if staying there). I think for a first visit to Grand Cayman, it can work well for the right people. It worked for my wife and I and we did exactly what @KathyV suggested. Rented a car and explored the island and now have our preferred way of staying and diving on the island. A condo rental at Coconut Bay with friends, shore dive access on site to Hepp's Pipeline and Wall and boat diving with Brad Nelson at Cayman University Divers: Cayman University Divers
Or a stay out on the east end and dive with Ocean Frontiers.
Thanks, all good to know. We'll have to stop by for a peek again next time we're around.

Interesting to know about the possibility of North wall diving with them, though it would be nice if it was more of a scheduled/sure thing (obviously depending on conditions.) I just looked and they still only mention west and south. And a boat in north sound for Stingray city, but I can't find any mention of other diving up there.

Looks like I have a lot to learn.

Do the dive ops or some dive ops rinse and store your gear after a days' diving? Are there dive lockers at some dive ops?

I dove with a GC operation once where they would sit you at the back of the boat and put on your bcd for you and you would just stand up and giant stride in. That was nice, but I don't think that operation rinsed/stored gear. I'd have to get accommodations with a balcony in that case?

I prefer small boats rather than large boats.

Thanks, all good to know. We'll have to stop by for a peek again next time we're around.

Interesting to know about the possibility of North wall diving with them, though it would be nice if it was more of a scheduled/sure thing (obviously depending on conditions.) I just looked and they still only mention west and south. And a boat in north sound for Stingray city, but I can't find any mention of other diving up there.
Yeah-- I don't think they like to promote it, but they will do it upon request and if enough people are up for it. Will take someone to drive the conversation with other guests and get a consensus and then ask to make it happen.

I rate Hepp's Pipeline and/or Turtle Reef/Macabuca as the best shore diving location on the island, in my experience. The mini wall there provides a lot of variety that the Sunset House shore dive never can. Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast come a close second.

Totally concur with you on those rankings!

Back
Top Bottom