Hollis HD 100 BCD/mares pro tec Review?? Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Backo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi am looking at buying the hollis hd 100 BCD am desciding between this and the new mares pro tech. Will be looking at slinging a 5lt faber pony tank on some deeper dives and shipwrecks as well as a standard 12lt faber back mount. If anyone got any info on the pros or cons on either of the bcds and any info on the best BCD to carry a pony would be great. Couldn't find many reviews for the hollis BCD so thought I would try here. Thanks

I own the ProTec, and I love it. It is very comfortable, has a decent amount of D rings without over doing it, and you can take the back plate off to make a travel bcd. I only have 10 dives in it, and I got mine for $400, but I am happy with my decision. It has a large bladder and does tend to push you face down a little more than say a knighthawk, but I just don't add as much air on the surface. I have had 0 issues with the mrs weight system either. I was a little worried about that after reading some reviews. I always make sure I get that positive click when inserting and I am good to go. Let me know if you have any questions about it, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

i haven't any problems with the hollis hd100 -- it is officially discontinued by Hollis (came out with a new model bc) but it's got plenty of drings and i like the side D-rings where you can clip a pony off to easy enough. comfort is great on it & the cumberbund is adjustable (it's 2 pieces and attaches to the backplate) --- there actually are quite a few divers around this area using the bc i've found (those that aren't divng BP/W yet)

i haven't any problems with the hollis hd100 -- it is officially discontinued by Hollis (came out with a new model bc) but it's got plenty of drings and i like the side D-rings where you can clip a pony off to easy enough. comfort is great on it & the cumberbund is adjustable (it's 2 pieces and attaches to the backplate) --- there actually are quite a few divers around this area using the bc i've found (those that aren't divng BP/W yet)[/QUOTE
yeah thanks ended up buying (hollis hd 100) one for a good price. Do you clip your pony to the shoulder and hip D rings or use the small ones on the side? They look like the might be hard to unclip if you have to pass it off?
cheers

i haven't any problems with the hollis hd100 -- it is officially discontinued by Hollis (came out with a new model bc) but it's got plenty of drings and i like the side D-rings where you can clip a pony off to easy enough. comfort is great on it & the cumberbund is adjustable (it's 2 pieces and attaches to the backplate) --- there actually are quite a few divers around this area using the bc i've found (those that aren't divng BP/W yet)

Looking to grab a very lightly used Hollis HD 100 (large) for heading south to Dominican (back-up). No fading, rubber mint, everything works as it should. Guy is wanting $240 CDN. Is this reasonable? I have had NO experience with Hollis and realize it's older...is it worth grabbing?
Any comments appreciated.

I have a Hollis HD100, it’s a nice back inflate BC. I don’t use it much anymore as I have two BP/W setups but I’d dive it in a second if for any reason my regular rigs weren’t available. Good BCD in my opinion, I have considered selling mine but have held onto it just in case. Not sure the CDN to USD conversion so can’t comment to the value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom