Hollis Katana - One size does not fit all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will say, I was not a fan of the bungee material included in the katana. It was certainly high quality but I prefer a bit more stretch. So those were replaced asap. To the credit of the rig though swapping them out to another bungee was extremely easy as they are just tucked back into the wing liner. No real modification needed.

I think that's a matter of tank choice, too. The stock bungee is fine with heavier steels....not sure if I'd call it "optimal" but certainly "workable." I wouldn't say that about AL80s, though. I'd call that more "adjustment" than "mod"....but that may just be me.

Either way, it's a big step forward from the crap that came stock in the SMS50/SMS100.

@sphyon I'm not going to disagree with you there. Changing them out has been on my to-do list, but haven't made it a priority. @victorzamora and I are experimenting with some non-traditional bungee routing, so have to swap them out. Will likely be doing that on the next cave trip

I think that's a matter of tank choice, too. The stock bungee is fine with heavier steels....not sure if I'd call it "optimal" but certainly "workable." I wouldn't say that about AL80s, though. I'd call that more "adjustment" than "mod"....but that may just be me.

Either way, it's a big step forward from the crap that came stock in the SMS50/SMS100.

Yeah I 100% agree. The heaviest tanks I dive on the regular are cave filled faber 85's and that thick ass bungee was kinda overkill. I would love to have a spool of it for other stuff though haha.

@sphyon I'm not going to disagree with you there. Changing them out has been on my to-do list, but haven't made it a priority. @victorzamora and I are experimenting with some non-traditional bungee routing, so have to swap them out. Will likely be doing that on the next cave trip

You actually going for a dive trip!? Vic must be ecstatic!

I still want to get some beers up in cave country sometime.

You actually going for a dive trip!? Vic must be ecstatic!

I still want to get some beers up in cave country sometime.

work hasn't stuck me in england for 3 months, that ruined my spring diving really fast. I've probably logged as much bottom time as he has, just most of it was teaching instead of cave diving which makes me a bit grumpy, and him as well

Back
Top Bottom