Home brand or a known brand?

Would trust a known brand to a unknown brand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weddas:
i was wondering would you trust a "unknown" brand to a "known" brand? :huh:
please let me know :wink:
chris
ps no i am not bored :D

To answer your question, I tend toward 'known' brands where there is service issues, such as regulators or if its deemed a critical piece of equipment (IE wing/BCD). If its a wetsuit or backplate, then its best value option. For the computer, do some research before you buy ANY computer, then buy what you like.

The main issue with the 'house' brand is that it locks you into one location for service and parts. I personally don't like to be dependendent on a single source if I am investing good money.

On another note, there are a LOT of good 'known' brand equipment out there that is competively priced to the 'house' brands. Good dive gear is not that expensive. (OK its relative on what's constitutes expensive, but hey, after a certain point you stop thinking about it!)

Mike

My first round of gear purchases were of name branded equipment, Scubapro and the like. I recently took a chance on two non-branded Salvo regulators. Before purchasing them; however, I spoke at length with many people who were familiar with
them, including the Barry at Salvo. Everyone had great things to say about their regs.

I now rave about these regs as well. They breathe better than my MK25/600's, and they were $200 less than a set of Apeks regs. So yes, I would consider unknown brands.

Phil

Something to remember is that every brand out there was an unknown brand at one time. People just took the initiative to give it a try.

It will go one way or the other. If people liked it the company grew and if they didn’t it fizzled. But sometimes just the advertising makes or brakes a company.

So do some research and give it a try. Some of the best and most exotic cars out there are from little companies that aren’t very well known.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom