Home built spear gun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubbles-
What materials were you planning on using for your gun? Were you going to buy a trigger or design your own?

When I travel I place my spear gun in a 4" PVC tube with two end caps. I utilize tape to secure one of the ends and glue on the other end to the desired length. I have never had a problem shipping them. My friend Erik said that they required him to put locks on his. So his has a similar rig with a hasp mounted on it from a local hardware store. This is a simple, cheep safe way to ship your spear guns, happy hunting.
Stewart D Bailey

JSC:
On a similar subject what do people use to ship their spear guns on the plane with them? I travel quite extensively between Boston and New Orleans and I like to go spear fishing in both places. I have a couple guns, the largest being the JBL 450XHD about 66" long. I don’t like to put them in a box and would prefer a carrying case. I have looked at Pelican cases and rifle cases but they are too short even if I dissemble the gun.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also recommend buying the gun it is typically easier and probably cheaper, unless you just want the challenge.

Good Hunting
JSC

Warhammer:
Why not buy a rifle case (as in gun case) for it? You can pick them up most anywhere for a reasonable price.

I have found that you can just use a piece of 4" PVC with one end cap glued on and the other end you can put a threaded cuplink with a cap or just a normal glue on cap taped on. You can even attached locks to it with a simple clasp and some small screws ( you will have to pre drill your holes so you dont split the pipe or cap.

TwoBitTxn:
How do people keep dredging up 3 and 4 y/o threads?

TwoBit

I was searching for information on how to build a spear gun, then I noticed a question I had an answer to in the same thread. I however did not notice the date in the upper left hand corner which caused this three year old thread to be rejuvinated. (I'm new to the site.)

Stewart D Bailey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom