Homemade Swimmer's Ear formula needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get the same feeling about this discussion as I do when I hear arguments about religion and arthritis treatment. My eyes just want to roll up and my brain goes blank!

Mineral oil (or baby oil) is to replace cerumen and is protective, why else would God have placed those awful cerumen glands in our outer ears?

The secret of vinegar is that it is acetic acid and this acidifies the ear canal and keeps down those really bad bacteria, who live best in an alkaline environment.

Peroxide bubbles and cleans by breaking up the cerumen, allowing it to be more easily removed.

Cue tips are a no-no - they just gradually force the cerumen further into the canal and act as a 'compactor'. Place nothing smaller than the tip of your little finger (pinkie, fifth digit) in the ear canal. Ever notice that no matter how large or small you are - the tip of the little finger fits and will only go so far? One ear doctor I know says that you should "put nothing smaller than your elbow in your ear canal"

Hairpins, finger nail files , etc. are a no-no - unless you want to do your own myringotomy.

DocVikingo is correct - Bayer does not make or sell Domeboro Otic, as far as I can find. However, you can make your own. Burrow's solution or Burrow's tablets can also be purchased as an over the counter medication. One can make one's own Domeboro Otic by mixing 1 part Burrow's solution with 1 part water and 1 part 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Cool!

Now I have to trim my elbownails...they keep scratching my ear canals.

Thanks for the answer, Doc.

Larry Stein

Your pal.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo,

I swore I would not write to this thread again. But it's like trying to eat just one potato chip...no can do.

Have I made an ass out of myself?

It all started innocently enough...eardrops, then disinfectants, antimicrobials, Domeboro Solution, on and on.

Scubadoc's answer at least indicates that it is possible to "make" Domeboro Solution from tablets. Bayer doesn't make the drops anymore.

Vinegar and alcohol seems to have been voted the peoples choice with some modifications--salad dressing.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I got caught up in the thread--it "sucked me in"--I just found myself constantly replying and replying. Trying to eat one more potato chip. Just tell me I'm not the only one who gets into uncontrollable urges to respond just one more time...PLEASE!

At least you signed it "your pal" so you can't be too upset with me.

Now, to make things worse, the media has just reported that in hospitals, alcohol gel hand rubs are excellent for disinfecting before examining a patient. And I thought alcohol was just for drinking!

I swear, this will be the LAST response I make to this thread...just don't tempt me too much...I might need another chip!

Regards,

Larry Stein

Pardon my ignorance....
Are those stuffs which you docs expounded available over the counter? And what is the brandname of it instead of the medical name if I were to purchase it? Are they readily available?

Thanks.:)

I've used the following recipe for 25 years,
and it works for me.

In an ear dropper bottle: by volume
(mix fresh once a month)

1/3 tap water
1/3 white table vinegar (5%)
1/3 isopropyle alcohol (70% rubbing alcohol)

instill into the ear canal with dropper after the dive,
or when you get home, and leave in for 30 seconds.
Repeat in the other ear.

It works from me, but I always have this strange urge to stop at a chip (french fries) wagon on the way home.
Go figure?

MikeD
:blfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom