Honduran Airport closures.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

last time I was in Roatan in July was 2003. We had two small rainshowers (less than 30 minutes each), one was well before sunrise, the other was in late evening. There was about sa five minute sprinkle one day while the kid was diving. I was on the dive boat and it was absolutely nothing

thanks everyone

As of yesterday, all the airports except Tegucigalpa were open. Teguc has been closed for almost three weeks according to the radio news. They have had several major forest fires outside the city.

SPS and La Ceiba have been open all week. The mainland, where I live, is starting the rainy season. Hopefully the nightly rains will keep the smoke down and allow visibility to reamin at 2.5 km or greater. We have had rain 4 nights out of five - 3 heavy downpours and a moderate rain shower last night. yesterday after noon was the first time in almost three weeks that we were able to see the hills just outside of town.

Also...the Honduran government is in negotiations again with the US government to convert the military airbase at Palmerola (near Comayagua) into the country's major international airport and leave the downtown Tegucigalpa airport as a commuter/regional airport.

We flew out out of Utila and Honduras on Friday, May 6th so I thought I would share our expereinces. We were supposed to fly out of Tegucigalpa on American Airlines but American changed out flight itinerary so that our flight left from San Pedro Sula instead. The flight number and everythign else remained the same, the ONLY difference was that we left from a different city. They had done this for at least 2 days so I STRONGLY urge anyone to check with AA before heading to Teguc.

As far as getting a flight off of Utila, we got different answers from just about agent/airline rep we talked to. We ended up stopping by the the Atlantic Airlines office just East of the town dock and I would recommend doing the same in the future. The woman there was very helpful and we were able to get the info and flights we needed. Of course, our Utila -> Ceiba -> SPS flight turned into Utila -> Roatan -> SPS but at least we got there. I wasn't too impressed with the guy working at Morgans Travel but I'm sure others have fared just fine through him. Good Luck...

sawdust:
We flew out out of Utila and Honduras on Friday, May 6th so I thought I would share our expereinces. We were supposed to fly out of Tegucigalpa on American Airlines but American changed out flight itinerary so that our flight left from San Pedro Sula instead. The flight number and everythign else remained the same, the ONLY difference was that we left from a different city. They had done this for at least 2 days so I STRONGLY urge anyone to check with AA before heading to Teguc.

The airport in Teguc has been closed the better part of 3 WEEKS due to forest fires in the surrounding mountains as reported on local radio.Hopefully that will be changing soon since the rainy season on the mainland is starting and the visibility is improving. on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom