Honduras flight, san pedro, or la cieba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crunch35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to honduras in june, air fare to san pedro is the cheapest but will i find safe cheap transportation to a dive site. probably will end up in rotan. my other choice is to fly to La cieba which is closer to the beach but much more expensive to fly to. any comments welcome thanks..

From San Pedro you can fly to Roatan via a local carrier - TACA, Islena, LACSA etc. - often with a stop in La Ceiba - or take the Hedman Alas bus to La Ceiba and fly/ferry on to Roatan. Either one will likely require an overnight in either San Pedro or La Ceiba depending on when you arrive. Preferably in La Ceiba from what I've read.

We found it just easier to fly direct to Roatan on Continental through Houston. Leaving here (Phoenix) at 6AM we were on Roatan just after noon.

One option from La Ceiba is the Galaxy Ferry to Roatan, it runs twice daily. You can also get to Utila from there via the Princess Ferry if that's of interest. Or fly to Utila via SOSA or Atlantic Airlines - maybe TACA also.

All the really good diving is off the Bay Islands - Roatan, Utila or Guanaja. I've never read of any good diving off the mainland.

moved to the Bay Island forum...

I am going to honduras in june, air fare to san pedro is the cheapest but will i find safe cheap transportation to a dive site. probably will end up in rotan. my other choice is to fly to La cieba which is closer to the beach but much more expensive to fly to. any comments welcome thanks..
If you intend to fly the whole way to the islands, you will fly through La Ceiba. The only question is which way will you pay for it. The other option is to take a bus (Hedman Alas is super nice) or private driver (referral on request) to La Ceiba and the ferries, The Galaxy Wave to Roatan or the Utila Princess to Utila. You can Google each for their schedules and fares. Flying to the mainland and then making your way to Roatan or Utila often requires an overnight in SPS or Ceiba but the early ferries get you there in time for an afternoon dive.

If you get to San Pedro in time, you can get the 2:30p. CM Airline direct flight into Roatan (key word direct). It is around $100. Taking a bus, ferry and staying overnight will probably cost more once you factor in meals.
You can email CM's Nicole Pasquier de Mourra: nickipn@gmail.com or call her in Honduras at
504-233 4630

Don't know how much time you have but a night at Omega Lodge and some greta jungle hiking, kayaking, or rafting, totally makes the SPS > La Ceiba trip worth it for us. Keep us posted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom