Honeymoon Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know how shy everyone is about sharing their opinions here, :11ztongue but can you just do me this one favor and suggest a honeymoon venue for Joe and I? We are getting married on 9/18, and would like to take a week to go to some fab locale. I have about 150 dives, and Joe has yet to be certified, that will change before September. (Yes, I did the Right Thing and threatened to not marry him if he does not get certified).
He is pumped to start diving. We would like to go to a place that's neophyte-friendly, and on the cheap side, since after paying for the wedding (we have no parents between us, pooh), we will be broke! We'd also like to go to a place that's laid back, and non-club-meddy. Know what I mean? We'd like to be able to relax and soak up the local culture, and hang out by ourselves.
I am thinking Bonaire, but I though I'd ask you fine people your opinions. Where would you go?

It all depends on where you are coming from and your definition of cheap, but my wife and I were in almost your exact situation (I was certified, she wasn't until a few weeks before the wedding), and we took our honeymoon on Cayman Brac and absolutely loved it. It is definately laid back...pretty much eat, sleep (wink), dive, lay on the beach. The diving at most places on Cayman Brac and/or Little Cayman is "valet diving" where you rarely touch your gear (unless you want to) when you are out of the water. I know Cayman Brac Beach Resort and Little Cayman Beach Resort are running "Splash" specials in September and October, and several other resorts on both islands sometimes run specials that time of year. The only drawback is that it is hurricane season, and that time of year is pretty much the peak. However, we went in August for our honeymoon (1995), October two years ago, and are going back this September, and we just buy trip insurance and don't worry about it.

Bonaire is probably another good choice. The best diving there is typically oriented around shore diving, so loading gear in and out of a rental car over and over may not be what you want for a relaxing honeymoon. Then again, depending on where you are coming from, airfare direct to Bonaire can be fairly cheap (which its not coming from Houston).

Good luck with your planning, and if you want more info on our honeymoon on Cayman Brac, feel free to email or IM me.

Ive been sold on Cozumel....Well I live here. It is quiet, great diving. and great food.
The sunsets are breathtaking, and the other side of the island is miles of pristine beaches. And easy to get to from US. Continental, American, US Airways fly directly to the island.

Thanks for the suggestions! Aggie, I have spent a week at Divi Tiara on CB and loved it. LOVED it. The diving was incredible and varied, and far, far exceeded my expectations. This is a distinct possibility, since, you are right, it is totally hands-off, valet-type diving, suitable for a honeymoon. My only beef with it was that we essentially missed two valuable diving days, flying in late Sunday night and being herded out in the wee hours of Saturday morning. But I guess everyone needs a weekend off on occasion. :D

Try someplace new and head over to Little Cayman. I have been to both and if I had to do it again would definitely choose Little over the Brac. Bloody Bay is just sooo convenient and beats the Brac diving IMHO.

Post were you are comming from. My wife and I decided to goto Grand Cayman before we were certified. Infact thats how I got into diving. Everyone told me if you goto the caymans and your not a diver your missing out so I figured what the heck and got certified. The caymans is great but Grand Caymon is not cheap. Cozumel had nice diving. And is very reasonable.

What I would want to do if I was marring you would be to go on the Aqua Cat. its only like 1700 bucks per person and that includes everything. Although I would hate to be in the room next to you. ha ha

:wavey: Hi, Michael, what a nice surprise! it's good to see you!

Funny, I was just wondering what you have been up to. It warms my heart to know I had a hand in your Yuengling addiction. :D

Back
Top Bottom