honeymoon in bora bora and moorea!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey all!
new to the board!! love it already..

just wondering, we're going to tahitit for our honeymoon next month! we just got certified as well! and was wondering, anyone been to tahiti? is there a MUST SEE place in bora bora and moorea?

also, i have a canon s230....is it worth it to get the housing?????

thanks all!!

-dan

The Scuba Diving Destinations section of this board has a forum dedicated to Australia & the Pacific Islands. You'll see it just a little way down the board from General Travel Discussions.

As such, I have taken the liberty of moving your question to that forum in hopes that it may receive a more comprehensive response.

As a new member, you are invited to familiarize yourself with the board. It has a lot going on.

As regards you inquiry, Bora Bora has some super diving. Manta Ray Dive in Anau Pass in the eastern side of the lagoon, Tapu just outside the main pass, Teavanui Pass at main entranceway from the ocean into the lagoon & Tapu Iti bit further down from Tapu can be outstanding. Even the lagoon dives can be fun.

I'm not a photographer, but I'd say, yes, it would be worth getting a housing for your Canon s230.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

My husband and I dove in Bora Bora on our honeymoon. We dove with Top Dive and we were very happy with them. The manta ray dive is a must and we also did an amazing shark dive that included a 15 ft. lemon shark! And a camera is a must!!!

wow!

thanks!

do you think my canon s230 will suffice? it's 3.2 megapixel. is a disposable ok? or shall i get the housing? i am looking for a place to buy a housing as we speak.

thanks again!

so excited!
-dan

I was in Bora Bora and Moorea a couple of years ago and had a fantastic time there! I grew up in the Carribean and have traveled to quite a few places in this great world of ours, and no place compares to Tahiti IMHO!! You are going to love it!
Where are you staying..? I stayed at the Pearl Beach in BB(awesome property) and the Beachcomber on Moorea(older and larger but still nice)I dove with the dive ops at each property(no complaints, very professional)
Topside activities that we did-
1) Island picnic on BB,they take you by boat to one of the motus for a BBQ and party-great snorkeling and fantastic polynesian food!
2)Island tour of BB -great scenery and you can hike to the top of the Mountains for an incedible view!
3)Moorea-another Island tour-visit to pineapple fields(the best pineapple you will ever have called thaitian queen)rum factory waterfalls etc-a must do!
4) Another Island picnic with a visit to several spots to see sharks and stingrays.

The Tahitian people are wonderful,very friendly and hospitable!
Im jealous!!! This brings back some great memories!
We had a layover for one night in Papiete- I wish we could have stayed longer!Everyone said to get out ASAP but we found it to be a very entertaining and cosmoplitan city-reminded me of Paris in the tropics.
Dont miss the raoch coaches in front of the cruise ship piers at night in Papiete-must be about a 100 of them with more good food than you can imagine-very cheap and good!

Bring lots of cash and credit cards-everything is expensive,but worth it!!!
You guys will be in heaven!
Congats on the wedding and have fun!
Let me know if I can help with any other info?
Drew
PS-hope you like sharks! there is no shortage of them there!

wow!
what great advice!!

i can't believe the wealth of information i can get here! i find myself trying to rush home to check on this board!

thanks for all the advice and input!

sincerely,

-dan

ps> drew, do the sharks bite????????

Hey Dan!

Congratulations!!! You guys will have a magical time on Moorea & Bora Bora!!!

I have never been to Bora Bora. I was in Moorea about 8 years ago.... But here is what I remember.... Moorea is beautiful! The tour around this island is well worth it. I think all tour operators do a version of it. And my favorite spot was this stop on the tour around the island. It's this turn off at the top of a hill. It faces Tahiti and is a PERFECT photo op. In the background, you have the island of Tahiti, and the waters are about a million colors of blues & aquas from the reef surrounding Moorea. Also, don't waste much time on the island of Tahiti or the city of Pappete. It's not interesting or particularly attractive....

Diving visibility was amazing in May, when I was there. But the reefs were a bit beaten up from all the tourists/divers. The island is unlike any other I've seen since. But I want to talk it up too much.... You'll see it for yourself when you get there....

deputydan1:
hey all!
new to the board!! love it already..

just wondering, we're going to tahitit for our honeymoon next month! we just got certified as well! and was wondering, anyone been to tahiti? is there a MUST SEE place in bora bora and moorea?

also, i have a canon s230....is it worth it to get the housing?????

thanks all!!

-dan

My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary with a French Poly. cruise last May..

We dove on all the islands we visited and had a great time. The Topdive associates (different operators on each island) sell a discount 10 dive package that all of their operators honor. As newly certified divers we felt that thier services fit our need pretty well.

The shark dive on Bora, had maybe 15 divers split up into 3 groups. All were together for the shark feeding, then each group went different ways. Numbers were smaller on all of the other dives, with six being max, and sometimes just the two of us and the DM.

I don't have an UW camera, but here is a shot of Moorea from Tahiti to get you started.

KYDan

No the sharks dont bite..just the mosquitos LOL!
As others have said...its hard to put into words..the place really is amazing!
When you get back you will know what we are talking about!
This is what got my interest to go - "more people visit Hawaii in one day than visit Tahiti in one year"
The sharks are totally harmless and could care a less about divers!
Post a report when you return!

Oh my-yes, you will have a fantastic time. I went to both 2 years back- the shark dives are awesome- really big ones too!! And the quality of the coral is fantastic- it will certianly be a honeymoon to remember.
A wonderful thing to do on Morroea is to wake early and watch the sun rise over Tahiti- great photo op- then the same evening, watch it sink into the ocean on the other side of the island- I felt so fortunate to be able to do that!!!
And ask locally- theres a really cool short hike up to a waterfall into a pool- very secluded and private- for a great romatic encounter. PM me if you want the name of the location- locals will be able to direct you too.
And also- take a drive up to the top of bellvadere- I think thats how you spell it- basically- the tip top of the island. Great view and you are in and above the clouds- the drive up is scary through tight hairpins, but well worth it.
you'll have a fantastic time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom