Honeymoon in Pacific Islands HELP ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy

Reaction score
Where do I take my beloved ?

She is only just OW qualified , a little nervous.

I want somewhere she will remember for the rest of our lives together, above water and below !

So you lot where do we go ?

Budget not too much of a problem, looking to go for two weeks in Pacific and then to States for a week on way back home to UK.

Need some good recomendations, 'cos web searching is killing me too much choice :D

Help me please my loved one, she deserves it :(

Hoppy

Hoppy:

Three ideas: Fiji, Tahiti or Maui.

These are still pretty much on the beaten path, so are easy to plan for and will give you good topside life, too.

Congratulations! Have a ball!

Let's get wet!! :tree: :tree: :tree:

Eric

Hoppy once bubbled...
Where do I take my beloved ?

She is only just OW qualified , a little nervous.

I want somewhere she will remember for the rest of our lives together, above water and below !

Vanuatu is nice. My wife and I always enjoy our time there. We stay either at Le Lagon

http://www.escapeholidays.co.nz/escape/pim/South Pacific/Vanuatu/LeLagonVanuatuResort.htm

or at Iririki.

http://www.iririki.com/home.htm

My wife is a rather nervous OW diver and she always has good dives. There's some great coral and fish life.

If you want something a little more challenging, in Port Vila harbour is Star of Russia, (old tea clipper) at 40 metres, and a Sandringham flying boat in about 50 metres.

Outside the harbour are a couple more wrecks, and good coral and limestone formation.

Best local outfit is Nautilus:

http://www.nautilus.com.vu/scuba.htm

If you have time, take a trip over to Santo (3 hours flying) and dive the Coolidge. Santo was the staging post for the US push on the Solomons during the war. Coolidge is 20,000 tons, troop carrier which hit own mine while entering the harbour at Lougainville. 25 metres at bow, 65 at stern. She's still in pretty good condition but she won't last forever.

At Santo your wife would love Million Dollar Point, an artificial reef formed from war junk, bulldozed in at the end of the war. It's now encrusted and the fish life is spectacular.

Port Vila is a nice town. Vanuatu was formerly New Hebrides, jointly administered by France and UK. English is now the dominant language, but Port Vila is still bilingual to some extent. Some good French restaurants.

Moorea has superb diving and is topside the most beautiful island you'll ever see. If you can stay in an over-the-water-bungalow and you can literrally stay on the reef. Look through your floor window and watch the fish at night. Diving inside the lagoon is very easy and suited for beginners. Outside the reef it is better to have some experience as currents can be strong.

The only negative thing are the prices: everything is very expensive (it has to come from very far!). You can also combine this easily with other islands, like Tahiti and Bora Bora.

My wife and I went there on our honeymoon and we loved every second of it.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Palau and Chuuk are diving paradise!

They got live-aboards, resort based diving, Wall, drift, reef and the wrecks of Truk Lagoon are awesome.

I have dove Maui and the Cook Islands. Both very nice but nothing compaired to Micronesia.

John

I've been to quite a few islands in the Pacific and Palau is still worlds away in my opinion. Definitely consider Palau!

If you're coming from the UK, you'll be on the other Continental flight that starts in Manila (Continental is the only airline that flys to Palau, last time I checked anyway). You'll go from Manila to Palau, then Palau to Yap, its a short island hopper flight that goes in a loop: Manila>Palau>Yap>Guam>Manila. I hear you can get a free stop in Yap, definitely worth checking out if you're coming this far. It's one of the only places in the world where you're are guarranteed to see Manta Rays. I was there last year, and it was typical to see at least 10 Manta rays on each dive. Very unique culture there too... almost untouched my the Western World.

As far as a place to remember for the rest of your lives... definitely hands down, PALAU. Palau is still at the top of my list of most beautiful places in the world.

Fiji is the place for you, fantastic beaches, great snorkelling and brilliant diving. My wife & I recently stayed at Matamanoa Island resort where there are only 20 or so rooms, most occupied by honeymooners. The snorkelling off the beach is some of the best I have seen in over 30 years underwater, nearby scuba sites were good - not brilliant, but not too challenging for your fiancee. The island is small with lovely beach, great food, nightly singing and light entertainment. It would be my number one choice of island resorts in Fiji that have scuba diving nearby. The boat trip out is on a modern high speed catamaran or you can seaplane out for a little extra (or helicopter if your rich!) se their website at http://www.matamanoa.com/
Regards -
Reefwalker :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom