Hood size question: head or neck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yuri D

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings:
I need to order a cold water hood (with warm neck/bib, as my Seaskin Nova is without one).
Question: looking at a sizing guide, I get vastly different results depending on whether I use head circumference or neck size. E.g. my head is 61, neck 40. If I go by the neck, I get L (neck size 40.5, head 56), and if I go with the head, it’s 2X (head 48).
I re-measured with my buddy (also known as my wife) 4 times, measurements are correct.
Any opinions? Jokes are welcome :wink:
Thanks!

Don't risk blood flow or respiratory restriction. Neck size must be large enough.
Too small on head size may block water from the ears and hinder easy equalization, but that can be easily addressed manually. Too small head size can also leave exposed skin surrounding the facemask or cause excessive water incursion through tension-caused folds.
Too large in either dimension will let in excessive water, diminishing the hood's effectiveness.
Too small a neck size is not usually a problem with a size 40 (US 15.5). My limiting factor is a neck size = 53 (US 21). Anything I can find that fits my neck is way too loose around my ears and the top of my head.

Don't risk blood flow or respiratory restriction. Neck size must be large enough.
Too small on head size may block water from the ears and hinder easy equalization, but that can be easily addressed manually. Too small head size can also leave exposed skin surrounding the facemask or cause excessive water incursion through tension-caused folds.
Too large in either dimension will let in excessive water, diminishing the hood's effectiveness.
Too small a neck size is not usually a problem with a size 40 (US 15.5). My limiting factor is a neck size = 53 (US 21). Anything I can find that fits my neck is way too loose around my ears and the top of my head.

I had the same problem - head 60, neck 40, size L was ok around my head, but around my nevk was too loose and it bundled around my neck line.

My solution was a different brand hood, xl size for head 58-62, neck 38-42.

I agree that you should try to find another brand hood that fits both your neck as well as your head. Another solution is to use a hood that has zipper at the back of the neck. These will typically be bibless hoods, but there are some (I know Aqualung makes one) that still has a bib long enough to tuck into the neck of a wetsuit.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom