hookah vs USN Mk V helmet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello folks, i came across a WWII training video on how to don a Mk V, all 200 lbs of it.

couldnt these helmets be made of much thinner metal as they are not holding out any pressure difference, just enough metal to keep it from flexing on each breath, equivilent to a hookah that you can talk through.

am i missing something here?

thanks
B

Last edited:
The metal in a Mark V helmet is actually a lot thinner than it looks, probably around 1.5mm - 2mm thick. Making the helmet shell thinner would make it less resistant to impact damage, and could affect its' structural integrity by the time the ports and all the other necessary fittings are put in place.

A standard Mark V helmet weights 54lb/24kg, which makes it one of the heavier standard dress helmets ever made. Making the helmet out of thinner metal wouldn't actually make the diver's gear any lighter, because any weight lost from the helmet would need to be added back somewhere else to compensate for the buoyancy of the helmet.

That said, full Mark V dress is still particularly heavy as standard dress goes, for a couple of reasons. Because the Mark V helmet is relatively large (especially compared to Chinese and Japanese helmets) it needs more weight to sink it. It also makes the diver's visibility relatively poor, because the ports are further away from the diver's face, reducing the angle of view.

The whole configuration of Mark V dress (including the weight belt and shoes) was also designed to enable a diver to remain firmly anchored in place in a strong current. I know some people who have done buoyancy tests with Mark V gear, and established that the Mark V weight belt can safely be reduced by about 39lb/17kg and still be enough to get a diver under water in calm conditions. This reduces the total weight of the gear from 190lb/86kg to 151lb/69kg, which when you compare this to a tech diver with a full set of twins and a stage cylinder, isn't that much different.

I dove he MK-5 15 years in the navy and they are right where they belong at this time, Outdated and on display as a bygone invention. The above remarks hit the nail on the head, Too heavy and useless in today's diving. Band masks hot water suits, much smaller umbilicus, Better communications and so on. My avatar is in 1966 ready to make a HEO2 Dive off Dahlgren Virginia in the Anacostia River. Sure would like to have a MK-5 for display they are going for around 5 grand on E-Bay for a genuine MK-5.

Back
Top Bottom