Hooked !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
I just want some advice please , i've only been diving for a short time and love it !
The thing i would like to know from the more experienced divers is i'm booked in to doing my advanced course and i'm keen to go further onto instructer level. Do i need to slow down and do alot of dives first or just go for it ... haha

I can get upto dive master in a few short months as i love the feeling of diving and the new world it has opened up to me ! ...

any advice would be great

thanks all what a great site this is

MiketheDiver

Hey, Mike. A warm SB welcome to you from the chilly waters of Puget Sound.

I can comment that I have seen a couple of threads here that have covered this. If I remember the crowd was about evenly mixed. Some advantaged from continuing their supervised training and others, like myself, enjoyed working on their skills for awhile before seeking additional certification. Then there are those that successfully train themselves to high skill levels without ever gaining further official certification.

SEA YA!

IMO racing from open water to advanced open water and even recue is one thing. You are growing your personal skills and if you are a quick study and don't care about stopping to smell the roses that's your decision.

As a divemaster working towards instructor I'd have a hard time taking one seriously who didn't have some serious mask time. Experience is important. 200, 500 dives I don't know

Pete

IMO, the effectiveness of instruction depends a lot on the individual conducting the course and the persons receiving it, and may not always be directly proportionate to the instructor's diving experience. Having said that, the experience may help the instructor to quote examples or relate to the theory which may facilitate the instruction.

the_cat_keeper:
IMO, the effectiveness of instruction depends a lot on the individual conducting the course and the persons receiving it, and may not always be directly proportionate to the instructor's diving experience. Having said that, the experience may help the instructor to quote examples or relate to the theory which may facilitate the instruction.

I agree with the cat keeper whole heartedly but to take it one step further I would say that diving experience breeds confidence. The more you dive the more confident you are in your abilities. The more confidence you exude the more confident your students are in your ability to teach them and keep them safe if the process.

If you are passionate about diving and the prospect of teaching others you will make a great instructor, but no need to rush it. Happy Diving

thanks guy's i think on that note i'll go as far as rescue for now and give myself a some time to as you say smell the roses. as i live on the west coast of australia we have a lot of palces to go diving and all my mates r into it ....
its crayfish season over here and the joy of the hunt is great ! and i love to take photo's were and when i can ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom