horizontal ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas

Contributor
Reaction score
Expat Floridian travelling in the Land of Eternal
# of dives
500 - 999
cnidae:

The horizontal vs vertical ascent issue ...

Cave divers tend to stay horizontal at all times no matter what. It is a trim configuration meant to avoid stirring up silt within the cave. It is a fairly critical cave issue.

The issue of drag is mostly relevant to DPV propulsion. And you certainly would want to be horizontal while being towed by your favorite DPV. More fun, that way.

nereas:
The issue of drag is mostly relevant to DPV propulsion. And you certainly would want to be horizontal while being towed by your favorite DPV. More fun, that way.
I disagree ... the issue of drag is relevent to anyone who dives in current-sensitive areas, unless it's their intent to simply dive like a piece of flotsam all the time. And the cumulative effects of increased drag make you work harder under just about any conditions ... which affects your air consumption.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i'm going to add in that it is also beneficial in low vis conditions, especially in places where there is a very silt prone bottom. here at the lake staying horizontal cuts down quite bit of the silting ... its especially noticeable when teaching open water classes ... their first couple of times students create clouds until they get the hang of staying horizontal

wjknobles:
i'm going to add in that it is also beneficial in low vis conditions, especially in places where there is a very silt prone bottom. here at the lake staying horizontal cuts down quite bit of the silting ... its especially noticeable when teaching open water classes ... their first couple of times students create clouds until they get the hang of staying horizontal

I completely agree, regarding the silting.

The horizontal vs vertical ascent issue
i just had a 2 hr lesson on this subject the biggest resson is so that you offgas at the same rate.

The reason for the horizontal position is drag. You get less drag when moving horizontally, which means that you don't have to work as hard, and you get more drag when moving vertically, which makes it easier to control ascents and descents.

ekewaka:
The reason for the horizontal position is drag. You get less drag when moving horizontally, which means that you don't have to work as hard, and you get more drag when moving vertically, which makes it easier to control ascents and descents.

What if you want to move vertically? I'm thinking DCS Dome in Taj Mahal kind of vertical.

nereas:
Nice horizontal trim in your avatar photo, Soggy. Looks good.

Looks like a frog----with skinny legs to boot.......

I wonder where the idea of "horizontal as best orientation for swimming" first came from?

Hmmmm????

fish-school.jpg

ekewaka:
, and you get more drag when moving vertically, which makes it easier to control ascents and descents.
Not sure how much easier it is, but, I was told one reason we ascend horizontaly is to be able respond quickly to a buddy in need, toxing diver, OOG, etc., as opposed to a slower response, due to being verticle. One would first need to acquire a horizontal swimming position before being able swim to their buddy.

Chris

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom