Horse Collar BCD with AIR 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre171

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, cleaned up the cellar and reviewed some unused scuba gear. I combined some to a somehow vintage setup. Scubapro MK2 + 109 + SPG, Barrakuda ABLJ + AIR2 (3rd), backpack, depth gauge, watch and a analog dive planner forming this recycled setup. Gonna try it 😁
IMG_20230715_145316~2.jpg
Anyway, did people used a horse collar bcd with an AIR2 back then? If so, in which time could my setup belong?

Dude I hung a 25cf bottle under a horse collar with an airII to a quick dive, snorkel with

Circa: last century

Anyway, did people used a horse collar bcd with an AIR2 back then? If so, in which time could my setup belong?

As I recall, Air2's came along in the late 1970's along with the advent of the ScubaPro Stabilizing Jacket. While many folks continued to use horsecollar BCs at that time, I noticed they were being phased out in favor of Jacket-style BCs, and Back Inflation Units (BIU). Many of us had been using At-Pac's since the early 1970s. I stuck an Air2 on my At-Pac inflator hose and used that for a while. Never used an Air2 on a horse collar BC and have never seen it done, but no reason you couldn't do so.

What made the Air2 mesh so well with the Stabilizing Jacket was that the corrugated hose connected to the Jacket on the front (rather than back up behind the shoulder). That kept the other end if the short hose with the Air2 attached in a fixed easily accessible position at your left chest level that never varied. You always knew exactly where it was.

I applaud you for experimenting as that is how you find out what works best for you. Good luck. My 2-psi. 😎

I never saw anybody using an AIR 2 or anything similar with a Horse Collar BC but a lot of us used/use power inflators. I think your rig would date to the late seventies maybe. I still snorkel and dive with a Horse Collar BC and use a power inflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom