Hose mesh/wrap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for the best quality of hose wrap/mesh. I can purchase from Trident but wanting to know if anyone knows of other mfg's I could consider that might have more colors available.

Do any of you use this type of product? If not, why not?

I like the look and think it would be a worthwhile product. Let me know what your thoughts are.

I understand the thinking behind this, but they don't offer the protection people would think and they make a huge entanglement hazard around any wrecks. The mesh can hook onto lots of things and actually cause more problems than they fix.

Most people say " well what if I am rubbing on something or banging against my hoses, won't this protect them"

My reply is always - why are you rubbing against or bumping into anything? Mesh is a solution to a problem that should not exist to begin with.

DIR Tec Diver

Your post is somewhat contradicting. You say the mesh can hook onto lots of things during wreck diving and then you go on to say "why are you rubbing against or bumping into anything?"
I don't get it. If you are not rubbing into anything with the hose then it won't snag anything.......right?

I understand what you mean and I don't do any wreck diving. Strickly tropical reef diving. I like the way it looks and just want to pursue the idea.

I put yellow spiral wrap on my hoses to help my gear stand out from the crowd. In my Open Water class there were four of us using identical masks, snorkles, and fins. I was having trouble telling my dive buddy (a 6'+ black guy) from my brother (6'+ blonde white guy), or even his wife (blonde white gal)! When wrapped from head to toe in 7mm rubber, it's nice to have a few quick ways to pick out your partner. It's less of an issue when diving in simple pairs, but I've not had an occasion when I wished my gear was LESS distinctive.

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1359&prmenbr=946

I'm not sure it makes me look better. (I think it really makes me look more like an idiot.) I'm not too concerned with how I look though. Someday I'll post a picture of what I did to my fins to make them stand out. Let's just say that no one will pick them up by accident. :wink:

If you like the look, go for it. It doesn't strengthen the hose, and can cause cleaning problems if you get silt or sand inside the mesh(which does happen)

IMO: just stick with regular hoses and save your money for something that will actually enhance your diving.

I wrap my octopus hose in neon yellow wrap. This does two things:

1. Visually identifies my secondary air supply should a student/dive buddy have an OoA emergency.

2. While teaching and performing regulator recovery, it provides a tactile identification of which second stage I have hold of.

The protection issue is really pointless as very few if any divers are going to be scraping our hoses enough to cause any damage, IMHO.

jbichsel once bubbled...
I wrap my octopus hose in neon yellow wrap. This does two things:

1. Visually identifies my secondary air supply should a student/dive buddy have an OoA emergency.

2. While teaching and performing regulator recovery, it provides a tactile identification of which second stage I have hold of.

The protection issue is really pointless as very few if any divers are going to be scraping our hoses enough to cause any damage, IMHO.

#3 (when used around students...) Perpetuates the myth that the wrap serves a function and / or reduces entanglement potential.

I have the mesh hose wrap on my octo and gauges in pink. Keeps my gear from getting mistakens for anyone else's on the boat and I think identifies me underwater better for my buddy.

I've not had a problem with it catching on anything. It seems pretty tight against the hose so in my opinion, the chances of having it catching are pretty slim but I won't say impossible.

My LDS got it for me and "installed" it so I can't help you with manufacturers.

Diverlady

Diversauras once bubbled...

#3 (when used around students...) Perpetuates the myth that the wrap serves a function and / or reduces entanglement potential.

Not when I explain what purposes it serves. I tell them why I use it, and do not try to lead anyone to believe the wrap serves any function other than what I have chosen to use it for.

Communication goes a long way to dispelling myths.

Back
Top Bottom