Hose mount vs retractable compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CNYMAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How does a hose mount work? I'm sorry but have never seen one - does it just clip on the SPG hose? Would a retractable compass clipped on the my BC be better? We upgraded our very old equipment, my old compass was on the console. I didn't use the old compass that often but sure like it there when needed. Thank you!

How close can you see clearly?

How you attach/use the compass depends on how clearly you can see it when properly positioned. I can readily use a compass attached to the end of a gauge console or on a long retractor. I can hold it out far enough with either of those two options.

If it is mounted on your high pressure hose, will you be able to hold it in position and still read it? Is the hose long enough?

If if I put it on my wrist, it will be too close for me to see clearly.

There is no single, universal method.

Well, that makes it clear. My older eyes can't see things as well and hadn't even considered this.;When the first thing I say every morning is "where are my glasses?" Thank you! I'll donn my bc and check out the hose length. I've been wearing one contact for far vision while diving but might want to reconsider? Geez - maybe a prescription mask?

Haha!

A lot of folks don't take that into consideration, especially some of the folks on SB who always say "put it on your wrist". I'd love to but just can't.

I have a prescription mask, but not bifocals.

"Prescription" masks can be done cheaply if you don't need or want anything special. I just use a mask that I can put the pre-ground blanks into.

This is why I'm a wreck diver. You never have to worry about navigation:

1.) There's a rope.
2.) There are two boats
3.) Each boat is tied to an end of the rope
4.) If you get lost, follow the rope until you come to a boat
5.) If that boat is on the bottom, turn around and look for a boat on the OTHER end of the rope.
6.) If THAT boat is also on the bottom... navigation is the least of your worries

:d

Last edited:
Well, that makes it clear. My older eyes can't see things as well and hadn't even considered this.;When the first thing I say every morning is "where are my glasses?" Thank you! I'll donn my bc and check out the hose length. I've been wearing one contact for far vision while diving but might want to reconsider? Geez - maybe a prescription mask?

I'm not a big contact person so I've got a prescription mask. Would never be able to enjoy the hobby without it.

I use both hose mounted and retractor mounted. I prefer the retractor mounted compass because for me, it's easier to manage. Just a word of advise, make sure there isn't any ferrous metal where the retractor attaches to the compass (don't ask me how I know).

Jim

I prefer having my compass on my wrist -- I can see it to ignore it! Well, some of the time I actually use it and it depends on how accurate I need to be. I use a DSS mount so the compass is held on my arm with bungee -- and IF I need to be very accurate, I slip it off and hold it in one (or both) hands -- way out in front so that I can see it!

I wear mine on my wrist, I bought a mask with bifocal feature. A retractor are easier to use because you can pull it out to pretty much any position, the down side is that you have another piece of gear dangling off your BCD.

They also mount them on slates. Here are a few examples and a hose mount picture for you.compass.jpg

I prefer neither. this is cheaper and more accurate, and much more versatile

[video=youtube;x0z4T_3KjFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0z4T_3KjFM[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom