Hot dipped galvanized...how bad for environment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well actually not concerned about it once I buy it. More like how bad is to make. Which is what you answered. I just can't decide what brand or size to go with. I'll probably end up buying to many tanks. Just trying to get something that would be a positive for one or a negative for another. Not like it is a huge difference though.

I would not make it a factor. Before environmental awareness took hold metal finishing sites were notorious environmental liabilities. A fire in such a facility could result in a calamity just short of a nuclear disaster with airborne releases and ground water pollution. Today the most locations are highly regulated with many safeguards with minimal risk or release. They are still not something you want in your back yard but the world is better off for having the finishing capability.

IMO the HDG finish is a solid tie breaker in favor of the HDG product over the Faber process.

Pete

I guess my practice of felling giant trees and making wooden tanks on my lathe from them would be a better option than galvanized. After all, wood is a renewable product.

Rust is not a factor with these tanks and being made from redwood are not particularly vulnerable to termites, although the ivory-billed woodpecker can be a nuisance and cause your tank to fail a visual.

That sounds a lot safer than the pressure treated southern yellow pine I have been using.:shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom