hotel and diving in coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
just wondering if anyone knows how the Occidental Grand is? the rooms, food and diving operators there. we will be there July 2nd-12th. we plan on doing the dune buggy tour also. we have never been diving anywhere other than Hawaii. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Occidental Grand is a great hotel. Everything is absolutely first class (by far the best hotel in Coz)

On site dive op is Dive Paradise. Typical large operatore. Big boats with a wide variety of diver experiences. If you are a relative beginner or it has been a while since you dived, you will like them fine. If not, most of the more personal operators will pick you up at the Grand dock

Enjoy, I can't wait to get back.

Rich Hagelin

richhagelin:
On site dive op is Dive Paradise.

Minor point... the dive operator at the Grand is Dive Palancar.

Anyway, wife, son and I just spent the better part of 9 days at the Grand (after getting a free upgrade from the Allegro, where we stayed the first 5 days). Going from the Allegro to the Grand was like going from a 30 year old Best Western to the Ritz Carlton, even though the Allegro claims to be 4-star and the Grand 5-star.

According to the desk manager at the Allegro, the Grand cost about $30/day/person more than the Allegro. I don't know if we would have paid for it, but hey, it was a free upgrade, so what can I say? (Apparently, they were trying to get buildings empty over at the Allegro so that they could continue the upgrading - the Allegro was FULL, and the Grand a little less than full.)

The Grand is an incredible hotel... great setting, super rooms (ultra-cool air conditioning, a big plus for me) with lots of tile, REAL beds. Food was absolutely fantastic, especially compared to the Allegro. Fresh fish every meal, lots of fresh fruit (though lots of canned stuff too), friendly staff. Wife and I weren't too impressed with the pizzeria, but my son liked it.

I did notice that the Grand is not nearly the party place that the Allegro is. No one walking around with 64-ounce drink cups full of margaritas at the Grand. The lobby bar is very nice for an afternoon or before/apres dinner drink. We didn't go to the disco at night, so I can't comment on that.

The view from the La Hacienda restaurant (a reservation only place for dinner, but open for lunch too) is great - right on the beach. If you decide to eat dinner there, try to get your reservation for just before sunset. We ate there once and twice at the Sonora restaurant - once Mexican, once steak (it alternates cuisines by night.)

All three were good meals, good selection. We didn't eat at the Olivos, the third reservation only restaurant (mediterranean cuisine)... we liked the buffet dinner, so ended eating there a lot. Plus, standing in line for a reservation at 8:00 am was a bit of a pain, but necessary to get the time you wanted.

I might suggest that you consider upgrading to a "gold level" (not sure what its actually called.) People we met there had done that, told us it was about $150 for the week. You get a nicer room, personal concierge service, internet access, preferential restaurant reservations (no lineup), tequila tasting party, etc.)

The only negative we had was that there was no ATM at the Grand. No big deal (we thought), just walk down the beach 5 minutes north to the Allegro. Unfortunately, we got nabbed by the Allegro security guard. "Day pass, day pass...", which we didn't have... he got kind of hostile, and although we were able to get to the ATM without getting shot (just kidding, I don't think he had a gun.. at least not one I could see), he wouldn't let us walk down back down the beach. Had to take the road. Not a major hardship, just a pain. Other people we talked to said they had no problem going over to the Allegro, day pass or not. Guess they just didn't caught. So the moral is, ask for your "day pass" if you need to go over to the Allegro...

As for the dive op, I've used Dive Palancar before (when we stayed at the Allegro last year), but this year I mostly used an off-site dive op (Scuba with Alison). However, I did do 6 dives with them (including the twilight/night dive combo) and they were okay. Much shorter dives... usually got back int he boat with about 1200 psi in my tank (when they say its a 40 minute dive in the briefing, they MEAN a 40 minute dive...)

But like Rich said, most dive ops will pick you up there. During the time there, we saw all kinds of different dive ops picking up there (although they don't like the pier - too high). Just don't expect to do too many of the northern reefs... its a long haul for them back to the Grand, then back north. We worked out a deal with Alison, so we got to do some of those reefs. My understanding is that Dive Palancar will only do the extreme northern reefs (like Paradiso) or southern dives (like Devils Throat) if there are at least 6 people ahead of time.

Don't worry about staying at the Grand. It is a very nice hotel. The rooms are large, clean and come with a big bathroom. There are two big pools; several restaurants and a nice little beach. The food is good too. And there is plenty of booze available. I cannot comment on the dive operator because we used Blue XT Sea. But just relax and don't worry. You will be more than satisfied with your decision to stay there. If this gives you any comfort, my wife and I stayed there in April and are going back in July! Just leave the maid a few bucks every day with a note telling her all the extra stuff you want for your refrigerator and you will be okay. In case you have not thought of this: Make sure you use bottled water to brush your teeth; dont bite your nails and keep your mouth closed in the shower and you will avoid any intestinal disorders. We will all be looking forward to your trip report!

I just returned from the Grande last week and dove with Canucklehead on a few dives. Had a blast. The Grande was great. I love the fact that there are about 80% less smokers at the Grande than at the Iberostar. Plus there is no smoking inside any of the indoor resturaunts. Not to rant but being in a swimming pool with 10 people smoking in the pool is nasty. The food was veried and tasty plus the service was prompt. The rooms were allways well kept. On the last days there the rains hit hard and we lost power for a most of the daylight hours. The staff worked very hard to keep the guest comfortable. I had a great time diving even using the onsite dive shop. Usally when the dive states 40 minutes long I was close deco according to my Cobra anyway by the 40 minute mark anyway. Over the 6 days of diving I got in 14 dives. :) whoohoo. I plan to write a longer post but am in middle of packing for a wreck diving trip coming up next week. Sorry had to plug that one.

Canucklehead:
The only negative we had was that there was no ATM at the Grand. No big deal (we thought), just walk down the beach 5 minutes north to the Allegro. Unfortunately, we got nabbed by the Allegro security guard. "Day pass, day pass...", which we didn't have... he got kind of hostile, and although we were able to get to the ATM without getting shot (just kidding, I don't think he had a gun.. at least not one I could see), he wouldn't let us walk down back down the beach. Had to take the road. Not a major hardship, just a pain. Other people we talked to said they had no problem going over to the Allegro, day pass or not. Guess they just didn't caught. So the moral is, ask for your "day pass" if you need to go over to the Allegro...

FWIW, I don't believe that they are supposed to do that. IANA(Mexican)L, but my impression is that no one can actually own the beach. I can't say as I'd go to the mat in Mexico with a Mexican security guy over a point of Mexican law, but as I understand it no one can legally restrict you from going to any part of the beach that you want to go to.

ggunn:
FWIW, I don't believe that they are supposed to do that. IANA(Mexican)L, but my impression is that no one can actually own the beach. I can't say as I'd go to the mat in Mexico with a Mexican security guy over a point of Mexican law, but as I understand it no one can legally restrict you from going to any part of the beach that you want to go to.

Actually, the issue was that we would have had to walk back across the Allegro grounds to get to the beach. And that wasn't going to happen.... He first stopped us at the edge of the patio, just as you leave the beach. If you know the Allegro, its a long walk from the lobby to the beach.

Canucklehead:
Actually, the issue was that we would have had to walk back across the Allegro grounds to get to the beach. And that wasn't going to happen.... He first stopped us at the edge of the patio, just as you leave the beach. If you know the Allegro, its a long walk from the lobby to the beach.

I see. Still, it seems a little silly to me to keep you from walking to the beach through their property. I don't know the Allegro or the Occidental grounds, but I know that they are a fair distance from the road.

Ya think he may have been looking for a "contribution"? I might have been tempted to say, "Let's go talk to your boss."

thanks for the info!!!! i would like to stay down longer than 40 minutes (if the dive allows). i dive 2 times a week here (2 tanks each dive). the hubby is a dive master and i am a master scuba diver. got the breathing and bouyancy down pretty good. we are really looking forward to our visit and if anyone is going to be around while we are there please look for us. (july 2-12) Melissa and Vince. i will give you more info so we can get together if you want.
ch0ppersrule@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom