Hotel Barracuda??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jethroish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Wife and I have always stayed at Hotel Coz and loved it. Planning our next trip now and looking at Barracuda. We like diving with Dive Paradise too. Want to be a little closer to town and save a few $$. We don't do the AI thing and don't use the pool much either.
How is Barracuda? Do they have any type of breakfast or just next door? Wifi (like to keep in touch with daughter at home and send pics)?
Reason I do not mention other hotels is I was looking at DP's packages on their web site.
Thanks

Barracuda is a nice local type hotel clean and has a pool that is part the no name bar. That is one of the problems with the Hotel for many people. During the day there are lots of ship workers there using the net and enjoying the day off. One of the nice things about the location is it is just across the street from the new Mega store. Also close to Margaritaville and Jenies Waffles good spot for breakfast.

I've stayed at Barracuda many times. It's a nice no frills hotel. Nice pier, pool and close to town. The No-Name bar really doesn't bother me to much and it clears out around 6:00 PM. As you walk out of the hotel, just to your left is the Rockin Java, and just to the right is another place for breakfast where you can sit outside by the ocean (and see the pier in case the dive boat shows up early).

Wife and I have always stayed at Hotel Coz and loved it. Planning our next trip now and looking at Barracuda. We like diving with Dive Paradise too. Want to be a little closer to town and save a few $$. We don't do the AI thing and don't use the pool much either.
How is Barracuda? Do they have any type of breakfast or just next door? Wifi (like to keep in touch with daughter at home and send pics)?
Reason I do not mention other hotels is I was looking at DP's packages on their web site.
Thanks

A bit more rustic than HC but otherwise clean. AC, TV, mini-fridge. Dive paradise on site with pickup, rinse tank, locking basket type locker. Nice terrace sand area, small pool with bar. The bar severs good food. 11-4 watch the 20 something crew from the ships enjoy the day off--eye candy. Free internet by the bar for hotel guest or bar patrons. Bar maids will give you pass word. If you get a 2nd floor room above the bar you will be able to wifi from the balcony. All rooms face the sea. Jeane's waffle house next door and rockajava just 100 yards north. No safe but front desk will lock up your stuff. $1 charge every time you access the lock envelope. I get cereal and milk from across the street and thats fine for breakfast, then hit the great places to eat for lunch and dinner.

PS all outlets are the old 2 prong and narrow type, bring a 2to 3 prong adapter, but file the wider prong to the same size as the other.

A bit more rustic than HC but otherwise clean. AC, TV, mini-fridge. Dive paradise on site with pickup, rinse tank, locking basket type locker. Nice terrace sand area, small pool with bar. The bar severs good food. 11-4 watch the 20 something crew from the ships enjoy the day off--eye candy. Free internet by the bar for hotel guest or bar patrons. Bar maids will give you pass word. If you get a 2nd floor room above the bar you will be able to wifi from the balcony. All rooms face the sea. Jeane's waffle house next door and rockajava just 100 yards north. No safe but front desk will lock up your stuff. $1 charge every time you access the lock envelope. I get cereal and milk from across the street and thats fine for breakfast, then hit the great places to eat for lunch and dinner.

PS all outlets are the old 2 prong and narrow type, bring a 2to 3 prong adapter, but file the wider prong to the same size as the other.

That is the info that I was looking for. Thanks. Do you happen to know if the rooms have hair dryers? Not for me of course. :D

No hair dryer. This is an old hotel, you get 2 towels, 1 small bar of soap and thats it. No elevator, no bell boy, carry your own luggage up the stairs. There is also a 15x15 roof top deck for women who want to sunbath topless out of view of others.
I stayed there in Nov for 35 a night and will be there Jan16-21 for $60 a night.

I've stayed there lots. I highly reccomend it as a good clean mexican dive hotel, not the cheepest but decent for the view. The pier makes pick up very simple. Nice night diving diving off the front. Very basic, but clean and close to town, endless hot water. The view alone is worth the price of the room. Close to grocery, close to rock-n-java, no name bar is good food.

Loudives,
I have always used a hair dryer! I ask for additional towels (if needed) at the front desk. No problem. Some folks don't like the Barracuda but, our dive shop has never had a problem there.

Loudives,
I have always used a hair dryer! I ask for additional towels (if needed) at the front desk. No problem. Some folks don't like the Barracuda but, our dive shop has never had a problem there.

I was just answering Jethroish's question of is there a hair dryer in the room. And stating what you normally get. Of course you can bring your own to use and ask for more. I have found the Barracuda to be a very nice place to stay. The late afternoon to evening guy that works the desk is very accommodating. This hotel is not for everyone but for a clean, inexpensive, convenient, place to spend my $ this is it.
Sorry if I wasn't clear on my previous post.

You may also want to check out Cozumel Coral Reef Inn. They do some great packages with Dp and are only about a 10 minute walk from Barra. They have great rooms, full kitchen on the roof (we did our own breakfast every day then walked down to the diving (used the locker's at Barra and the pool there after diving when we wanted). You can cab it back after diving for a couple of bucks and the beds and rooms are great. Big showers, fluffy towels, separate towels for diving or beach, laundry on site, rinse tank on roof (clean gear chill out on sun lounger) and great spot for local dining nearby. You can link to them from DP's website. Tell them John from London sent you. It should be Gerry and Leona (fellow Canadians) looking after the place right now. You won't find nicer people. Read the reviews on trip advisor. You can't miss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom