Hotel Fontan Cozumel ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Kat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to book our hotel for our Spring Break trip and have seen a real killer deal for Hotel Fontan Cozumel ... doesn't seem to be many reviews or comments out there about this place ... anyone have any good (or bad) insight on the place? Or stay there recently?

Small hotel on the north end of island Newly reopened with new rooms. Nothing special clean and on the water with pool. Nice staff I stayed there before the remodel and I have always liked it Give it a try. What was the deal by the way?

Thanks for the response Ted ... seems like this hotel is totally off everyone's radar! Very hard to find any recent reviews since the renovation ... we have never stayed north, so we're a bit hesitant, but the pictures of the hotel appear to be very nice.

As for the deal, Orbitz has it for $69 a night (w/tax = $543 for the week) or with a car you can use the current Orbitz coupon and get it for $539 for the week. (Yup .. that's room & car & taxes for less than the room alone. The coupon doesn't work on the room alone.) We did a similar deal last year with Fiesta Americana where adding in the car was about $16 more than just the room, so we took the car.

Kat, Hotel Fontan is owned by Aldora's owner (or so I've been told?), and I believe they're the only dive op who will pick up there. Not sure it's really off everyone's radar but since it's north of town it's not going to be a really popular place for divers (other then Aldora customers). Even then I think most divers want to be in town or south of town.

If you do book it, please come back and tell us what you thought.

Kat
That is a great price with the car or not. I live on the island and the North is nice not as busy. If you are will to give it a try I think you will be pleased. It is by no mean a 5 star but not much on the island is. The diving 10 star.

Ted, as far as the rooms go (size, amenities, etc.), what hotels in or south of town that most divers are familiar with would you compare Fontan to?

It is much like Coral Princess as far as hotel room size from what I have seen. The rest of the Hotel is much smaller no big lobby or game room. My wife likes the hotel because it is small. If you want or need more action go next door to Coral Princess for happy hour two for one around 6 usd for two drinks. My wife just told be that the rooms are bigger than CP. and they have balconys. It also has a resturant. Not sure about food have not eaten there in awhile.
I feel the rooms are better than Playa Azul also north end. Pool is better than Azul

Thanks Ted ... guess I should clarify a bit what I'm used to, and then maybe you can put it into perspective for me. We've stayed at Villablanca, Caribe Blu, Villa las Ancles, Casa Mexicana and Fiesta Americana. Being picked up at the pier is nice, but not a requirement – just a nice perk. We used to dive with Papa Hogs or Blue Angel, but once Scuba with Alison became my girl, we pretty much book exclusively with her. (She might beat me senseless otherwise!! :wink: LOL!) We’re used to cabbing it to the Marina, so with a rental car, that’s not a big deal.

We’re very low maintenance – don’t need activities, don’t need the big happy hour specials. Other than diving, we’re pretty low key. We have our favorite restaurants in town for major meals. We do like clean rooms, good air conditioning, ocean views, and some nice outside space to sit and read a book by the pool or water. Bonuses would be internet access and a small fridge in the room.

I guess my problem is I’m a bit of a skeptic … the place looks way to nice to be getting a room cheaper than Caribe Blu ….

Stayed there 15 years ago---time goes by fast. We stayed on the first floor so walked right out to pool. No frills but clean, large hotel room and bath. I would put it on a par with Caribe Blu as far as size of rooms but the bathroom was larger and had all marble counter tops at Fontan. Very quiet and laid back. Just over a mile from town, about same as Caribe blu, but not as nice a sidewalk.

Bottom line ------ OK if you like Caribe Blu type. To bad it's north.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom