hotel help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
aloha!
i am planning a trip to Maui from 12/22-12/27!! wahoooo! a nice christmas to remember!

anyhow, just wondering WHICH hotel/resort is BEST?!?! Also, which has great scuba diving access, shore diving, etc!

please please help me choose!

how's the Maui Prince Makena?! i found that one on-line....

thanks!!!

-dan

deputydan1:
aloha!
i am planning a trip to Maui from 12/22-12/27!! wahoooo! a nice christmas to remember!

anyhow, just wondering WHICH hotel/resort is BEST?!?! Also, which has great scuba diving access, shore diving, etc!

please please help me choose!

how's the Maui Prince Makena?! i found that one on-line....

thanks!!!

-dan
We are heading to Maui tomorrow can't wait!!!!
Here my 2 cents...
We own a timeshare at Embassey Kaanapali, there are one or two bedroom suites that are very nice, the pool is huge and there is a small beach. It is close to Lahaina where serveral dive ops leave from. The shore diving is nothing spectacular there but your close to Black Rock and some good inlet bays.
There are tons of resorts in Kaanapali and its a good location for dining, Lahaina has many very good restaurants.
Good luck finding something...

BTW if your going the best guide book ever on Maui is Maui Revealed
They include ratings on the island dive operations..

I second both those ideas. Unless you want someone to make your bed, just stay at a condo. Much better rates and ya can cook there.

yeah....point well-taken..
but since the wife and i really want to RELAX and lounge...we're thinking of a nice hotel/resort.

does anyone recommend one that has a nice beach for shore diving, near scuba sites/ops, near all the night life?????

thanks!

ps> WHERE is the nightlife?? which part of maui??

aloha!

-dan

Kehei and south for a couple of miles is whare most of it's at. Cassanovas (sp) in Makawao is the number one rated night club and it's about 30 mins from Kehei. Lahaina is also very good if not better IMHO. Makena landing is a good shore dive right in the middle of everything.
BTW if you haven't stayed at a condo, the pools are usualy nicer and way less crowded and they are much quieter overall.

deputydan1:
but since the wife and i really want to RELAX and lounge...we're thinking of a nice hotel/resort.

does anyone recommend one that has a nice beach for shore diving, near scuba sites/ops, near all the night life?????

I don't know if scuba and the resorts go really hand in hand with each other in Maui - but what about Wailea?

I would recommend the Kea Lani over the Prince - all the rooms are suites and very nice. Nice pool area (if you want to reserve a cabana call EARLY) and I think Nick's is one of the restaurants there. I've stayed at both - the Prince is nice, but more along the lines of a standard hotel - Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott. Kea Lani probably is considered a luxury resort.

Wailea is just a few minutes drive from Kihei, so it's close to the dock that a lot of charters depart from. Can't help you with shore diving sites. I think the night life options in Lahaina are more varied, but it depends what kind of night life you are looking for. If you're looking for a nice wine bar or lounge, I'm sure one of the resorts in Wailea will have something along those lines.

Lots of great places to stay. The Grand Wailea is, well "Grand" and very close to everything you are looking for. Kihei has the most active nightlife these days. Almost everytime I go to Lahaina it seems like they roll up the sidewalks around 11:00 pm. Hapa's in Kihei is the place to be on Monday Night. "Casa-groovies" (our local slang name for Casanova's) is fun on Wednesdays but quite a drive and a very expensive Taxi ride from most resort places. At the Grand Wailea, you'll find Tsunami's Nightclub which is usually very busy Fri. & Sat. nights. In Kihei, lots of small bars close to each other, lots of dining and partying going on. The Kea Lani is real nice; all the Wailea hotels are for that matter. Maui Prince is also nice but a little further south than the rest (not much, maybe two miles further). If you need to find out what's happening water-wise, let me know. I dive almost every day from shore in Wailea and Makena and I can give you a really up to date opinion of the conditions. PM me if you like.

Congratulations on coming our way! Have a great trip!

thanks everyone!!

we can not wait to be there!!!!
counting down the days!
i heard it's going to be very busy that week...12/22-12/27. i am hoping that we could find some dive ops that are available!!! would be so sad if they were all booked!!

anyhow, thanks again!!

ps> what's the water temps going to be? weather????
pss> do we need wetsuits?? we have skins...is that enough???? should we bring our gloves???

thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!

-dan

Shaka Doug:
Lots of great places to stay. The Grand Wailea is, well "Grand" and very close to everything you are looking for. Kihei has the most active nightlife these days. Almost everytime I go to Lahaina it seems like they roll up the sidewalks around 11:00 pm. Hapa's in Kihei is the place to be on Monday Night. "Casa-groovies" (our local slang name for Casanova's) is fun on Wednesdays but quite a drive and a very expensive Taxi ride from most resort places. At the Grand Wailea, you'll find Tsunami's Nightclub which is usually very busy Fri. & Sat. nights. In Kihei, lots of small bars close to each other, lots of dining and partying going on. The Kea Lani is real nice; all the Wailea hotels are for that matter. Maui Prince is also nice but a little further south than the rest (not much, maybe two miles further). If you need to find out what's happening water-wise, let me know. I dive almost every day from shore in Wailea and Makena and I can give you a really up to date opinion of the conditions. PM me if you like.

Congratulations on coming our way! Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom