Hotel near Marina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Solo traveler, I was in Cozumel this time last year, diving with Tres Pelicanos and staying at Quinta Suites. I liked both, and might do exactly the same thing again. But I wanted to at least consider other options. One thought was to stay closer to the marina instead of taking the shuttle. I walked and biked a lot, but never that far south, so I don't really know what was there. I'd like to spend more time away from the cruise ships. Ix Kool is the top restaurant on tripadvisor, and if I do get a blow out day or two, I could walk either to El Cedral or the cruise ship area if I really wanted to.

Every different dive shop seems to leave from the same Marina, so I either way want to be near there, or near transportation going there.

Aldora is the exception, being far north, but seems too isolated for a solo traveler.

I do not want all-inclusive, as the there are too many awesome food choices.

I will be bringing a large camera rig this time. I am not sure how much will stay with me, or with the dive shop.

Has anyone stayed near the marina? What is it like? Is this a good idea for different restaurants and bars and local spots? Or is this just going to be all-inclusives, isolated, and too far away from anything I want to see?

Solo traveler, I was in Cozumel this time last year, diving with Tres Pelicanos and staying at Quinta Suites. I liked both, and might do exactly the same thing again. But I wanted to at least consider other options. One thought was to stay closer to the marina instead of taking the shuttle. I walked and biked a lot, but never that far south, so I don't really know what was there. I'd like to spend more time away from the cruise ships. Ix Kool is the top restaurant on tripadvisor, and if I do get a blow out day or two, I could walk either to El Cedral or the cruise ship area if I really wanted to.

Every different dive shop seems to leave from the same Marina, so I either way want to be near there, or near transportation going there.

Aldora is the exception, being far north, but seems too isolated for a solo traveler.

I do not want all-inclusive, as the there are too many awesome food choices.

I will be bringing a large camera rig this time. I am not sure how much will stay with me, or with the dive shop.

Has anyone stayed near the marina? What is it like? Is this a good idea for different restaurants and bars and local spots? Or is this just going to be all-inclusives, isolated, and too far away from anything I want to see?
Of what shuttle do you speak? If it's the airport shuttle you mean, which hotel you are staying in isn't relevant.

The Presidente is near the marina; it's only a couple hundred yards down the coast but about 3/4 mile by roadways. It has a restaurant and bar but there are no other restaurants and bars within a mile of it.The closest would be across the street from the southern cruise ship terminal.

If it were my large (expensive) camera rig, I would not be comfortable leaving it on the boat for the dive op to care for, and if it were my dive op I would not take on that responsibility.

The only hotel I know near the marina is the Presidente (see my trip report - muy expensivo) - and if you want to hit local eateries you will have to take a taxi if you stay at Presidente. It is a beautiful hotel, but will be much more than Quinta.

There are ways to avoid having to take a taxi to the marina. You can stay downtown and use whatever dive ops will pick you up at the marina up there (Aqua Safari is one - I'm not sure who else). Which is more important to you - being close to the marina; being close to a good selection of restaurants; who you dive with (if you have a dive op picked out)?

Tres Pelicanos 'shuttled' everyone between the dive shop and marina, either in a pickup truck or a small bus.

As I said, I like to walk around, so a mile isn't too far, especially if it is something new, unique and not touristy. Unfortunately, it seems like you mean a mile just to get the same cruise ship fare.

The camera rig is expensive, but this is not a cheap hobby. My regulator alone is almost as much and I trust my life to it. I can breath without a camera. I don't see any issues leaving a camera rig with anyone I'd trust with other gear, but I will confirm with the operator ahead of time if I leave it.

If you stay South of the marina - more than likely you don't need to get to the marina, we come to you as it's on the way to the more common dive sites.

Villa Blanca isn't too close to cruise ships but yet is south of centro and easy bike ride to the marina - heck, a couple here for 6 weeks biked all the way from Chedraui to the marina when they were diving..... Can you bike with the camera? Don't leave that with any shop - your gear yes, but not the camera. If it's a plain Jane camera, yes, no problems but strobes and arms.... It's just touchy as things aren't always treated gingerly - they are placed on carts and pushed from shops or trucks to the boats etc.... You have to see it daily, regs are in your bag and very protected just by everything around them

It's more of what you are looking for in food, little nightlife and maybe noise levels

If you stay South of the marina - more than likely you don't need to get to the marina, we come to you as it's on the way to the more common dive sites.

Villa Blanca isn't too close to cruise ships but yet is south of centro and easy bike ride to the marina - heck, a couple here for 6 weeks biked all the way from Chedraui to the marina when they were diving..... Can you bike with the camera? Don't leave that with any shop - your gear yes, but not the camera.

It's more of what you are looking for in food, little nightlife and maybe noise levels
I was hoping you'd chime in. :)

I can bike with the camera and a backpack, but can't imagine it being jostled more by the crew than the bike.

I don't remember any nightlife, maybe I missed it, but Cozumel seemed to shut down when the last cruise ship left.

Food and exploring are priorities, especially if I can't dive. I walked to El Morro and biked to the East coast last time, so I can get around and appreciate nature as well as busier places.

Tres Pelicanos 'shuttled' everyone between the dive shop and marina, either in a pickup truck or a small bus.

As I said, I like to walk around, so a mile isn't too far, especially if it is something new, unique and not touristy. Unfortunately, it seems like you mean a mile just to get the same cruise ship fare.

The camera rig is expensive, but this is not a cheap hobby. My regulator alone is almost as much and I trust my life to it. I can breath without a camera. I don't see any issues leaving a camera rig with anyone I'd trust with other gear, but I will confirm with the operator ahead of time if I leave it.
We really like Casa del Mar - it's moderately priced and is close to a few restaurants - Ernesto's (easy walk) and Blue Angel (about a mile). In between there's Tikila and Paprika (easy walk), and also Sereno's (half a mile?) and Sunset (I thought their food was greasy but other people rave about them - and it's a great location for the sunset). We walk down to the Jungle Divers shop and ride with them to the marina - very convenient.

I can bike with the camera and a backpack, but can't imagine it being jostled more by the crew than the bike.

I don't remember any nightlife, maybe I missed it, but Cozumel seemed to shut down when the last cruise ship left.

Food and exploring are priorities, especially if I can't dive. I walked to El Morro and biked to the East coast last time, so I can get around and appreciate nature as well as busier places.
Cozumel runs 24/7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom