Housing options for SP-510UZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in the SP-510UZ, but I am not happy with my housing options. I spoke with Olympus and there are no plans to make a housing for the SP-510UZ. On the other hand, Ikelite has a housing - it will probably be the same housing as the SP-500UZ. That is fine, but I run into an issue when I want to use a strobe. I currently use a YS-90Auto strobe with a fiber optic cable running to the PT-020/027 housing. With the SP-510 and Ikelite housing there is no TTL, but there is a manual controller that works with the Ikelite strobes. (The manual controller does not work with other strobes, plus I do not like the manual controller as it is a small unit on your arm that points to the cameras flash. The camera's internal flash is not covered creating backscatter). I asked the Ikelite representative about using my fiber optic cable - the reply was there was not way to connect the fiber optic cable to the housing unit (I currently use velcro that comes with the fiber optic cable to connect to the PT-020 housing). According to Ikelite the only viable solution is to purchase an Ikelite arm set, strobe and manual controller along with the Ikelite housing (surprise!! surprise!!)

My questions are: what are my strobe options? Can I use the same velcro set up with the Ikelite unit? Is there sufficient space on the front of the Ikelite units to use the velcro? Another other options? Finally, are there any other housing options available? (Note: I did come across a "housing" from Ewe Marine, but I do have an issue with protecting my camera underwater with what I consider a "zip lock bag on steroids").

FYI - my current setup is an Olympus PT-020, Ultralight pivot tray, Ultra Light Arm set, fiber optic cable, and YS-90Auto. (I assume the Ikelite works with the Ultralight pivot tray.)

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom