Housing servicing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just recently found this site while I was doing some research for underwater videography. Glad I did as its a very imformative site. People seem cool here as well. :) Anyways, I have a question that I'd like to pose to you and see if anyione can direct me in the right direction. i recently purchased a used Seacam Sub System underwater housing. Underwater Videography has been something I wanted to do for a long, long time and I figured I'd try and start inexpensively with a used housing. (yes I know that could potentially bite me in the but eventually) I realize now that its a rather small company even though I read good things about their housings. My question is that I want to find a place that will test and service it and I cant find a place that will do it. The manufactorer doesnt have this service. I'm in the NY area. Anyone know a place that will do this?
Thanks

catchamental:
Hi all,
I just recently found this site while I was doing some research for underwater videography. Glad I did as its a very imformative site. People seem cool here as well. :) Anyways, I have a question that I'd like to pose to you and see if anyione can direct me in the right direction. i recently purchased a used Seacam Sub System underwater housing. Underwater Videography has been something I wanted to do for a long, long time and I figured I'd try and start inexpensively with a used housing. (yes I know that could potentially bite me in the but eventually) I realize now that its a rather small company even though I read good things about their housings. My question is that I want to find a place that will test and service it and I cant find a place that will do it. The manufactorer doesnt have this service. I'm in the NY area. Anyone know a place that will do this?
Thanks
Not sure what "service" you're looking for. Is there something wrong with the housing? I also bought a similar used housing two years ago.

What I'd do is check the back o-ring carefully, looking for any nicks, cracks etc, lube it with o-ring grease and take it for a dive without a camera installed. If you have the bayonet port and there's an o-ring on it, make sure it gets the same treatment. If you look very carefully at the back o-ring as you close the latches, you'll see them compress uniformly in the groove in the back glass. - make sure there's no particles of sand, hair etc. keeping this from functioning correctly. Always close them cross-corner.

Since the electronics in your housing are sealed during manufacture and it's a poly housing, there are no other possible points of entry for water. Part of the design...

Or do like I do and check it at the bottom of a pool. If it's going to leak, it probably will at 15' also.

If there's something wrong with the back o-ring, call Seacam and find out the AS568A Dash# and get one from a local hydraulic/pneumatic industrial supplier in your area. They're like 35 cents.

Then install your camera and check all the functions of both joysticks. Since the electronics are solid-state, proprietary, and sealed, there's really no maintenance required. If it doesn't work, call SeaCam. I've never heard of anyone having problems with joystick types of controls unless saltwater has corroded them. It's a non-powered serial data system so not a lot can go wrong.

If all the controls work, then seal it and go diving.

They don't mention any dealers on their website, so maybe all service is done through them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom