How accurate are Suunto wireless-air transmitters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only had my Suunto Vytec DS for a year - Never had a problem, once I got used to pairing it. At first I kept an analogue SPG as backup. But once I got used to the Vytec I got rid of the SPG and enjoy the freedom of less hoses and gear hanging down. I pack the SPG in my bag in case of sudden battery dying or other unexpected problems.

A digital computer will report PSI to four digits (ei 3442 PSI) however the part of the instrument that actually reads the pressure is nowhere near that precise.
Very nice graphic to illustrate the difference between accuracy and precision! Though in the above case I'd say the digital computer is precise (it shows 4 digits) but you don't have a clear idea if it is accurate (it could be 5% off on its calibration, or have an offset where it shows a nonzero pressure when your tank is empty).

Another concept here is reliable: does the computer get the signal from the wireless transmitter, or not? One can be accurate and precise both, but lose the signal, and thus be unreliable.

I dive with both an air-integrated console computer (Suunto Cobra 3) and a SPG as a backup. Whenever I have checked both pressure readings, they've been quite close to each other; close enough that I haven't ever bothered to remember if there was any noticeable difference.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you ALL for your great responses. Overall I'm left with confidence in the new wireless technology, though I will carry a backup SPG. - In general, yes, my 'accuracy' reference point was that relative to a hosed SPG backup. I've gone ahead and ordered a Vyper Air and with all your informative advice, I do hope, as RJP alluded to, every breath will be more than just a pleasant surprise! Cheers to you all.

Aloha!

Considering - at least with Suunto - that there are 99 potential pairing codes, the likelihood that your computer will pair with my transmitter is pretty low. In fact. in addition to having the same code selected, we'd also need to be pairing at the same time AND have both of our transmitters and computers within about a foot of each other. Possible theoretically? Sure. Likely to ever happen in practicality? Nope.

If you are in a large group on a cramped boat putting your gear together at the same time, the odds go up, but I agree, still unlikely.

Well, I'm happy to reply to my own post with an update on the performance of my Vyper Air. With nearly 100 dives on it I am happy to say the wireless transmitter has never failed on me yet. As I mentioned earlier, I do carry a backup SPG and refer to it every now and then during a dive and compare the "accuracy" to the readout on the Vyper Air dive watch and as altaskier mentioned in his post, the air pressure readings have been so close to each other that I don't even bother trying to distinguish the difference. Pairing has been no problem and overall the wireless setup has performed flawlessly.

Happy Diving!

And here comes the necromancer! :D

Esquerra1, is your Vyper Air the blue or black one? I'm waiting for my black one to arrive. Looking at the posts here, it sounds good and reliable so what I think I'll do is to junk my whale shark basher aka the Sherwood 3 gauge console and get a small metal bodied SPG as a backup.

i had a vytec wireless , after 5 years it went haywire. the computer dived by itself for 24/7 . i tried to fix by some suggestions by putting it in freezer, changing the battery .... no success , i gave up trying to fix it and gave it my dive guide. i heard many problems with suunto , i will never buy suunto again.

I had a Vyper air a few years back and had a few problems with it. It would sometimes lose connection and required you to resurface to get the connections back. It evenyually died due to the normal Suunto problem of the faulty depth sensor.
The new Suuntos are much more reliable and IF they lose connection underwater, they will reconnect again.

Personally, I find the Galileo transmittors to be one of the best for reliability.

(Is that better Quero)

I'm a trifle concerned by some divers remarks on here: if you have a transmitter fitted, it does not replace an spg. Computer read out is convenient, and I have never had a problem with one, but... if the battery failed on either end (there is no charge check on transmitters) and you have no spg, you are in danger! Unless you are a blue water diver, playing in a gentle coral sea, you need proper redundancy on all your gauges, analogue depth guage, dive watch and computer. Do not trust on one piece of kit, or you will be sending SAC readouts to DAN or whichever medical facility is trying to unbend you!
In the UK, diving wrecks, my rig consists of analogue spg, analogue depth guage, watch, TWO air integrated computers. I have never been in the pot... think about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom