How bad to be considered a blow out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who calls dives??? :D

The Captain has the final word on going out, the diver always has the very final say as to weather or not they'll dive.

If it's unsafe, or just so nasty that it wont be much fun, the dive should be called.

whats funny is before i lived here i would dive in 4-6 ft seas all the time, now that i have my own boat it has to be oil slick calm with a light and variable wind, so i guess i got spoiled.

Roger That!

When I moved here and bought a boat I got one with an enclosed front and put multiple bilge pumps on her expecting to take a few big green ones over the bow every now and then. We'd charge on out the Boynton inlet into big waves, at night, and that was just plain fun. At least the water was warm, unlike my native Oregon seas. We have so many days of great weather here it's no longer worth the effort. Though I did have to learn to respect local waves. On the pacific side you have giant swells with wind waves. A little boat can easily ride 20 foot swells as long as the wind isn't too bad and the wave period is long. Here, it's all wind waves with very short periods. Getting slammed with a 7 foot wave every six seconds is miserable in a small boat.

DC

I remember one fine morning at Boynton Inlet, nice n calm winds, not a ripple on the intracoastal headed out on the Starfish Enterprise pre-Craig days.

We got to the inlet channel, east of the bridge and got a glimpse of the storm surge waves breaking on the mouth of the inlet .... and the Entire boat called the day.
7-10 ft breakers .... um, yah, not worth it.

Granted I've crossed both ways to the Bahamas during white elephant season on GS Eagle with the props coming out of the water, but dammit when the "conditions" start blowing the marshmallows outta my Guiness ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom